Cobe-a-epic!

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Cobe-a-epic!

Post by big bend gyrene »

Way too many moons since I last chased my beloved cobes... in the meantime, I had watched as Woopty and Eddie-Joe put a hurting on them this spring. So not going to lie, by this Friday the fever to get on 'em was raging!

Due to solunar forecast and love for May cobia fishing, had been eyeballing the specific day for months. Figured it was going to be a good one, so gave a call to Dolphinatic and told him I was giving him first dibs on a trip out due to fact that after 3 years and numerous invitations we still hadn't fished together. He shocked me by saying he had a solid green light so we met at the house at dark-30 and made the trip down to the coast together, along with Dolphinatic's friend Raymond Sims.

Water conditions were PERFECT so ran WOT to bait grounds. While I fished for bait, Tom (Dolphinatic) and Raymond caught a pretty steady stream of seabass, trout, and mackeral. Bite was so good on the bait grounds we grew increasingly optimistic about our odds offshore. Before I get to the cobes, just have to say we got a kick out of the seabass being so ravenous that Tom doubled on a single cast! :lol:
P1010129.JPG
P1010129.JPG (3.24 MiB) Viewed 4315 times
So with a full bait tank, I made the call that if we ran out of bait it would HAVE to be a GREAT day and boy did that ever prove true.

Pull up to spot 1 in 18' of water and FIRST drop down I have a cobia chase the bait as I put it in the water, and it was BIG... 40 pound range, but despite his bravado in running up to the boat he didn't take. Still, I took the sighting as a good sign. So few minutes later, WHAM... Raymond yells, "Fish on!" and, yep, it's a cobe. :thumbup: :D Only negative about spot 1 was that the fish proved small. Still, let us do some scientific work as we tagged 3 cobes within the first hour fishing, with all caught by Raymond!

Thinking maybe the spot was a bit too public, we moved out to spot #2 - the farthest spot out we hit. Bite proved steady at spot #2 but this time we were IN the slot. We not only hooked up regularly, but doubled twice. End result was that we tagged 5 during the day, kept 3, lost 2 or 3 more, and saw a handful of following fish we didn't hook, so best guess was that we saw at least 15 cobes.

Now if all that doesn't sound exciting enough, HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY WITHOUT QUESTION was when one of our cobes became bait. This actually happened at spot #3, one we visited running back in from spot #2. We were worried whether spot #3 would produce as it's pretty public, so instead of fishing Tom and Raymond suited up and did some diving to scout. Visibility was so poor near the bottom they gave up after about 15 minutes and got back in. They weren't in the boat 5 minutes before a line out of the back started singing with a cobe that looked to be about 1" short, but a nice fish nonetheless. Raymond was doing the fighting and got it boatside when out of the blue it got hit ON TOP OF THE WATER. He's shouting like crazy, and I look to see what looks like a giant wing flapping down in the water, so I yell "SPOTTED EAGLE RAY?!!!" thinking there's no way it would be harassing a cobe, and Raymond shouts, "NO!!! THAT WAS A GOLIATH GROUPER AND YOU SAW THE TAIL FIN!!! IT JUST TOOK MY COBIA!!!". About a second too late filming, but did capture our reaction a few seconds after the bite, and as the film sadly shows Raymond lost the goliath pretty early into the fight. :smt010

Versus sharing single pics, just let the video tell the story of the entire day. :thumbup: :beer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWMowCrwi6g[/video]

And can't finish the report without sharing the funniest line of the day... in the midst of the bite being rock solid, Tom stops and says, "Man, this is like a Geico commercial... so easy even a Wolfe-man should be able to do it!" :lol: :smt005

Honest to goodness, was GREAT to be back on the water and to see Tom and Raymond having a good time. Dolphinatic was so happy with the solid bite he kept us all laughing pretty much the entire time. CAN'T wait to get back on 'em again!
Over and out, salute1
BBG
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Re: Cobe-a-epic!

Post by Gulf Coast »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Dockwilson »

:thumbup: Great Catch!
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Don't you know its illegal to use cobia for grouper bait? :lol: Good job, guys.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Ranaman

Post by Ranaman »

Great stuf Guys sure am glad yyou got Tom out I've been trying for years :)
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

That's what I was talking about! Totally awesome BBG.
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
doggymcnuggets

Post by doggymcnuggets »

Super day, bro! Jealous I couldn't be there, but psyched for you guys! BTW, Geico wolf-man???
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

:thumbup: :thumbup: salute1
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Great day! That video looked like a fishing show.

EJ
big bend gyrene

One thing I should have added to the report, the trout Tom and Raymond caught while I fished for bait were a bit deeper than we expected. If memory serves we were fishing in about 8' and that was at dead low, so at high tide would have been over 10' of water and the trout were all nice slot fish.

Also a note for Bman too funny not to share. He called me while we were on the water to give me grief over his phone not ringing. I had him on speaker phone as I was busy trying to help Tom and Raymond land fish during one of their double hook-ups. Second after I hung-up, Dolphinatic said, "You should have asked him why neither YOUR phone nor MY phone were ringing when he made his special K-Tower trip out last week... just sayin'..." :smt005
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
bman

Post by bman »

Love it!!!
And hating you more by the moment ;-)

Tom, those are some awesome boat shoes... I like the black socks :lol:
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
big bend gyrene

Tom was proud of those sock/shoes... he said that they helped him put the capital "S" in "SEXY!"... then he started talking about a special red heart-shaped weighted diving harness he wanted. Boat kind of got quiet for a moment around that time. :smt017 :smt104 :lol:
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

bman wrote:Love it!!!
And hating you more by the moment ;-)

Tom, those are some awesome boat shoes... I like the black socks :lol:
Diving is more for comfort, not fashion fo sho! They're Panacea Fila's :smt005
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

What'd I do to get dragged into THIS one? Dayum!

WolfeMan wrote:What'd I do to get dragged into THIS one? Dayum!
It's not what you've done, it's what you haven't done... and we need to work together to nip that problem in the bud ASAP. ;-) :-D :beer: