Sand bar out of the ochlockonee

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

derf

Sand bar out of the ochlockonee

Post by derf »

Great Sunday to everyone. I am going to take a few friends out inshore fishing on friday and had a few questions if anyone is familier with the ochlockonee bay area. The last time i was out (about a week ago) there was what appeared to be a sand bar off in the distance to the left toward shell point but further out torward the gulf. As if it was in deeper water. Has anyone seen this bar? I haven't been able to locate it on google earth. Is it a good place to go? I have been fishing the bars in the bay and have done decent with the reds but it would be nice if i could get out deeper. I would love to catch cobia but i am just not shore where to ancher up and put in the time to do so. My craft is big enough to go out a few miles but i don't want to push it further than that. Any help would be deeply appriciated.
Joe
Site Sponsor

Re: Sand bar out of the ochlockonee

Post by Joe »

I call it ochlockonne shoals. Google earth imagery hugs the shore pretty tight it seems.
Joe
Site Sponsor

Post by Joe »

wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

This should give you a decent idea of the location. The GPS coordinates at the bottom of the pic shows the center of the shoals :beer:
GPS coordnates are centered on shoals
GPS coordnates are centered on shoals
OchlockneeShoals.jpg (612.35 KiB) Viewed 1868 times
PS: Click the enlarge button in the top left of the picture to get the big view of it.
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
derf

Post by derf »

Thanx to all. Esp. to you wevans. You have answered many of my q. about the o. bay over the past year or so.
derf

Post by derf »

Went out to the rotary reef today. Finally i might add, and low and behold there were other vessels out there no bigger than mine. Anyway we caught live crockers and mullet to go out with and had some really exciting hits. One i must say i am proud of because i reeled in a four foot king. Thanx for all the advise everyone.