Navigation from Fort to Lighthouse

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Badbagger

Navigation from Fort to Lighthouse

Post by Badbagger »

Ok, hopefully NOT a dumb question. I found Shield Marina in St. Marks on Google Earth and found what I think is the ramp at the "Fort".. pic below. Since my new to me boat does not have anything but a basic fishfinder until I can save a few more pennies for a Lowrance GEN 2, I'm wondering how easy it is to navigate from the "Fort" out to the lighthouse.
Is the channel clearly marked? Anything to watch for etc ? After reading more here, I'm not willing to take a chance putting in at the ramp at the lighthouse and don't mind the run up the river and out to the Lighthouse. Appears to be a fairly easy run.... but, ya never know. I'm wanting to fish the flats out in front of the lighthouse. Boat is a 19' G3 Center Console and I should be ok at any tide from my readings at the "Fort".

If I'm all wet and this is not the Fort, perhaps some help is needed lol. Never been down that way.

Thank you

rocket
Site Sponsor

Re: Navigation from Fort to Lighthouse

Post by rocket »

Channel is clearly marked...red on right return. All u need to know.
Stay Thirsty My Friends
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

A 19' G3 would have no problem at the Lighthouse ramp! The only thing to worry about there would be if the lot filled up "they limit the amount of boats that can launch from there" :beer:
The good thing about putting in at the fort, is running some fresh water before you take the boat out :thumbup: just keep a constant watch ahead and behind when running the channel, there are a lot of fast boats out there and a lot of A-holes driving them!! :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
mastercaster

Post by mastercaster »

Just watch out for all the slow a$$ boats there.
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

wevans wrote:A 19' G3 would have no problem at the Lighthouse ramp! The only thing to worry about there would be if the lot filled up "they limit the amount of boats that can launch from there" :beer:
The good thing about putting in at the fort, is running some fresh water before you take the boat out :thumbup: just keep a constant watch ahead and behind when running the channel, there are a lot of fast boats out there and a lot of A-holes driving them!! :beer: :beer:
X2 on the lighthouse. You won't have trouble even on a low tide as long as its not a negative low. Just be careful at the end of the jetty coming out of the pool channel. There is a sunken boat there between the end of the jetty and the channel marker. You can see it on google maps/earth if you zoom in.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

You can see where the Saint Marks and Wakulla Rivers converge from the Fort ramp. Just head down river from there and once you get to the mouth of the Saint Marks River you should be able to see the Light house on your left at 10-11 o-clock. Be sure to follow the channel markers. Red on your left on the way out and Right Red Return. You should do fine.
Be sure to check with JumpTrout if you plan on fishing East of the lighthouse. His holes require permission or rent to be paid if you plan on fishing any of them. By the way anywhere you stop in Apalachee Bay will be one of his holes.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

I think I would put in at the L/H so that you won't have to be worried about a fast a$$ boats that sleep in and/or think it's a racetrack.
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Thanks for all the replies. I may give the LH a shot. I'll have to check with JumpTrout on a rental!
Rainman
Site Sponsor

Post by Rainman »

Lighthouse! I have a 20ft bay boat and there are only a couple times a year that I can't/won't put in at the lighthouse. On a busy day you will catch a lot of wakes cruising the river out to the lighthouse. Once you get east of the lighthouse take it easy until you feel comfortable with rocks. You will eventually hit one, if you don't have insurance I would recommend it. Mine bought me a new lower unit a year into owning my boat.
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Thanks Rainman and I'll definitely take your advice. I've fished the lighthouse a couple of times and maybe 1/4 mi plus off shore just in front of it and all was well. Invariably I'll eventually find a rock lol and insurance is a good thing!