Inshore Rod & Reel suggestions

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

grouperfever

Inshore Rod & Reel suggestions

Post by grouperfever »

Gentlemen,

I hate to ask such a generic question but I am in need of help. As you can tell from my handle, I am an offshore fisherman. My brother recently bought an inshore ride and asked if I could find him some guidance identifying some good equipment. He is looking for a spinning rod and reel for reds/trout. He's leaning toward a Shimano Stradic FJ for the reel. If you suggest a Stradic, which model? No idea on the rod. Also, suggestions on what to spool it with would be great as well. Make/diameter. I've been told the Power Pro super 8 slick is nice. Thanks for any and all help.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Inshore Rod & Reel suggestions

Post by silverking »

Full disclosure: I am sponsored by Shimano, but I would use their tackle even if I wasn't. It's the best out there, IMO, and I base that on 25 years of using/testing all major manufacturer's gear.

A 3000 Stradic FJ is an excellent choice, matched to a Shimano Teramar 7'6" Medium rod. The reel is well-built with a smooth drag and plenty of stopping power. With it you can whip any reds or trout and most anything else if you take your time. And you're right, the Power Pro Slick 8 is the best braid now available. For our inshore waters, I'd recommend using the green tint and 10# test.

With this setup, your brother will have years of dependable service and the rod is backed by a lifetime warranty. Kevin's has a good selection or South Georgia Outdoors can also fix him up.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Full disclosure I am NOT sponsored by Shimano (or anyone else for that matter) but I use their reels! :D I use the older Stradic 2500s and they work well for me and I have heard good things about the FJs. I have 4 St. Croix Mojo Inshore 2 in ML and 2 in M all are 7' and one Falcon 7'6" Coastal Inshore. They all catch fish when I do my part. I broke one of the St. Croix rods (actually my wife did it :lol: snapped it off right at below the reel seat when she drove under a tree pulling the boat) They have a program to replace at a much reduced cost even when it is user error. I know some of the other mfgs do as well. I happened to catch them on clearance when I first got started in salt.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

silverking wrote:Full disclosure: I am sponsored by Shimano, but I would use their tackle even if I wasn't. It's the best out there, IMO, and I base that on 25 years of using/testing all major manufacturer's gear.

A 3000 Stradic FJ is an excellent choice, matched to a Shimano Teramar 7'6" Medium rod. The reel is well-built with a smooth drag and plenty of stopping power. With it you can whip any reds or trout and most anything else if you take your time. And you're right, the Power Pro Slick 8 is the best braid now available. For our inshore waters, I'd recommend using the green tint and 10# test.

With this setup, your brother will have years of dependable service and the rod is backed by a lifetime warranty. Kevin's has a good selection or South Georgia Outdoors can also fix him up.
I also like the Shimano Stradic 2500 or 3000, although I have the older model FI. In addition to two 3000 Stradic FI reels, I have a Stradic 4000, a 1000, a Baitrunner 3500, and a Baitrunner 4500. I like the Terramar rods, and have four of various flavors. I find 10 lb test braid to be way too thin for my taste, so I put 20 lb Suffix 832 braid on one of the spools, the other has Ande Backcountry 10 lb test mono. I switch them out depending on the application. The Suffix 20 lb braid is still as thin as 6 lb mono, so it casts very well.

Luck,

EJ
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

3000 Stratic- yes! I would go with the 10 or 15 pound in aqua green. I don't know how the new Stratic spools are set up but braid will spin on a bare metal spool. I use a backing of mono on my older Stratics.

Rod? I love Falcon but there are a lot of good rods out there. The best thing would be to go somewhere with a large selection and actually mount a reel on a few and see how they feel in the hand. I like to very lightly drag the tip on a smooth floor or wall. With a really good rod you can feel the tip hitting little rough spots. You want a fast tip to be able to throw light lures in the wind too. The ideal rod for me has a fast tip that can zing a weightless fluke a long way but has enough backbone for a good hookset snap.
Last edited by Rhettley on May 21st, 2012, 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

The Shimano 2500 and 3000 Stradics are basically the same reels, except the 3000 has a slightly larger spool for more capacity and line take-up. Weight, drags, bearings, etc. are all the same, however. And I think you meant the 3000, Rhettley. I use a set of the discontinued FI Stradics for my guide service, but the new FJs stepped it up a notch, according to all the specs/reviews.

There are other good brands of rods and reels out there. The Quantum Cabos are very good (a little heavier and bigger than comparable Shimanos, tho), and Penn is playing catch up with some of their new models as well. Pflueger also makes some good stuff for the money. And the major manufacturers make private label rods/reels for Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc. Look back on other threads and you'll see more recommendations from other forum members.

I'm using Shimano because it suits the light-tackle/sight-fishing style I practice, the weights are light for casting all day and the equipment is top-notch. I also use DOA Lures, Capt. Mike's/Aqua Dream spoons, Hall 'em In Lures and Al Gag's Whip-it Eels because I know they work. And since I make my living by fishing, that's proof enough for me. But to each his own preference and budget.
bman

Post by bman »

I use the Soros and have been very happy... its a little less expensive than the stradic.
3000s have proven to be light enough to cast all day and heavy enough to handle all the reds and trout Ive caught on them... along with a few big sharks.

Look at the 7 foot Clarus rods. Good price, light, good action and good warranty service through South Ga Outdoors or Kevins.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

Same as what silverking said 3000fj and teramar but i'd use some 15lb. It fills up just right to me.
grouperfever

Post by grouperfever »

Wow. Thanks to everyone for all the input. It is really appreciated. Heck, now I want a new rod and reel! I will pass this along.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

He could always go custom (hint hint)
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Reel Cowboy wrote:He could always go custom (hint hint)
:thumbup: :thumbup:
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

Think i am asking the wife for a custom one for Christmas.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

mpa_72001 wrote:Think i am asking the wife for a custom one for Christmas.
Start designing it now, and be sure to get what you want. :wink:
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
TKHathaway

Post by TKHathaway »

I posted a very similar question on this board not long after I bought (& eventually returned) a Penn Battle 4000. I don't recommend this reel at all.

I eventually went with Stradic Ci4 4000 for my inshore red/trout fishing. Used it for the first time last weekend and absolutely love it. It's paired with a Teramar MH heavy rod because when paired with the Battle, it balanced out better. After returning the Battle & replacing it with the Ci4, I wish I had a Med. rod instead of MH. Still light as can be though. I know there are a whole bunch of folks on here that fish with the 3000 though & love it. I j/ happen to like the extra line capacity & ya never know what you might hook on to.

I will admit, however, I was torn between the FJ and Ci4. In the end, I decided the Ci4 was best suited to be my lighter tackle set up & when I get a new 6000 or so, it'll be, without doubt, an FJ.
- TK

"I get enough exercise just pushing my luck"
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Tkh, the best thing about buying a rod w a lifetime guarantee is that if you like something better(lighter action),your rod can "accidentally " break and you can exchange it for what you want. Especially if you bought it from Kevin's or sgo. It has happened to me many times.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven