Boy Scout scalloping trip? St Joe bay

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Boy Scout scalloping trip? St Joe bay

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D Our scout troop is taking the boys to camp and scallop St Joe bay in late July. Any tips that can help us show the boys a good time. May do some shore and or boat fishing as well. Thanks. :-D
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Re: Boy Scout scalloping trip? St Joe bay

Post by MudDucker »

Been there, done that, got a t-shirt and will be going again this year (11th or 12th straight year). Take lots of sunscreen and repeatedly remind the boys to reapply. Did I mention repeatedly remind the boys about sunscreen? In fact, I now have a rule, every 30 minutes we get out of the water, back on the boat and we reapply sunscreen. I don't care if your great grandfather was an Indian and that you have never burned before, you will apply sunscreen.

Second, be sure they have wading shoes or flippers. Most of ours like flippers, but barefoot is a big no no.

Get plenty of cheap mess bags and cheap spoons.

Carry plenty of snacks and water.

Anti-itch cream is a must.

Anti-depressant medication for the adult leaders seems to help keep everything mellow!

Oh, and sunburn medication will probably be needed, even with rule #1.

We have stayed at Presnell's one year (easiest) and the State Park another year (longest ride). Last couple of years we just made a day trip to Keaton or Steinhatchee. Let me know when y'all are going and where you are staying and we might join up with y'all.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

MudDucker wrote:Been there, done that, got a t-shirt and will be going again this year (11th or 12th straight year). Take lots of sunscreen and repeatedly remind the boys to reapply. Did I mention repeatedly remind the boys about sunscreen? In fact, I now have a rule, every 30 minutes we get out of the water, back on the boat and we reapply sunscreen. I don't care if your great grandfather was an Indian and that you have never burned before, you will apply sunscreen.

Second, be sure they have wading shoes or flippers. Most of ours like flippers, but barefoot is a big no no.

Get plenty of cheap mess bags and cheap spoons.

Carry plenty of snacks and water.

Anti-itch cream is a must.

Anti-depressant medication for the adult leaders seems to help keep everything mellow!

Oh, and sunburn medication will probably be needed, even with rule #1.

We have stayed at Presnell's one year (easiest) and the State Park another year (longest ride). Last couple of years we just made a day trip to Keaton or Steinhatchee. Let me know when y'all are going and where you are staying and we might join up with y'all.
Thanks Mudducker. You talking about liquid anti depressant(lol) We are planning on the 20th of july and staying at the state park.
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

I don't want to be a downer, but I can't ever recall any parent/leader/guide having alcohol on any of our camping trips or outings. I'm all for taking a cooler with the family or friends, but I think once you are in a position to lead other youth, it is imperative to set the right example...

Has me rethinking the refreshments when we take our own kids, now that I think of it.
850-273-8818
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Make sure the water is 84 degrees or warmer.
For a good time take them to The Thirsty Goat.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Dang mouse.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

As a redhead, I know a thing or two about sunburns. Instead of using sunscreen, I suggest getting a rash guard that is used for surfing. They are usually rated at least SPF 50 if not more, and you don't have to worry about reapplying. There are swim shirts as well, but I prefer the rash guard because it is tight fitting and does not hinder me when swimming. Here is one close to what I have http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/22257.htm
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

lonesouth wrote:I don't want to be a downer, but I can't ever recall any parent/leader/guide having alcohol on any of our camping trips or outings. I'm all for taking a cooler with the family or friends, but I think once you are in a position to lead other youth, it is imperative to set the right example...

Has me rethinking the refreshments when we take our own kids, now that I think of it.
It was a joke. That is not allowed.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Jumptrout51 wrote:Make sure the water is 84 degrees or warmer.
For a good time take them to The Thirsty Goat.
What is that?
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

ugadawg wrote:As a redhead, I know a thing or two about sunburns. Instead of using sunscreen, I suggest getting a rash guard that is used for surfing. They are usually rated at least SPF 50 if not more, and you don't have to worry about reapplying. There are swim shirts as well, but I prefer the rash guard because it is tight fitting and does not hinder me when swimming. Here is one close to what I have http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/22257.htm
I'm going to smake sure that all the kids wear a sunshirt in the water.
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Hit-n-Miss you have a PM.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

lonesouth wrote:I don't want to be a downer, but I can't ever recall any parent/leader/guide having alcohol on any of our camping trips or outings. I'm all for taking a cooler with the family or friends, but I think once you are in a position to lead other youth, it is imperative to set the right example...

Where is a picture of Leghorn when I need it ... it was joke son ... I say I say a joke son! :smt005
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

That's a joke son!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTwnwbG9YLE

Rash guard is a great idea. Wife and I always have one on in the water. We've got one for our son when he goes in the pool/beach.
850-273-8818