Fishmaster T-Top

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Badbagger

Fishmaster T-Top

Post by Badbagger »

I'm seriously considering ordering a Fishmaster T-Top for my G3. I've read a ton of reviews and for the most part, 99 % positive. I've got a friend in Texas who has one and he's very happy with it. Just thought I'd shout out here to see if anyone has one and get some opinions.

http://www.fishmaster.com/index.htm

Thanks
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Re: Fishmaster T-Top

Post by mjsigns »

Save your money and get a simple Bimini - Easy to install and will do the job.

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/ZNAT-54667-OB-PKG/

You want to blow $1K it's your money...
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

T top looks pretty cool. Is it necessary for it to fold down? Still a good price, less than I paid for my regular ttop from gulf coast fabricators in perry. I disagree w mps, I personally wouldn't own a Bimini top. Too much stuff in the way, especially when up. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

The beauty of a Bimini is you can leave it at home if you don't want to take it along. Personally I wold not put so much hardware on a G3. Think about them (or you) drilling holes through your hull to mount the frame. (I'm assuming your G3 is aluminum), with enough pounding in a good chop, there would likely be some metal fatigue, and eventually your boat would leak...(not to mention the less noble metal would begin to oxidize (corrode)). Just think about it.... It's all about metallurgy and physics.

Salty probably has a decent fiberglass boat hull - center console boat that came with a T top as part of the package....
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Thanks for the input, I have had a bimini on a couple of boats and while nice they do have trade offs. If I wasn't worried about fishability with a bimini and was focused purely on the shade factor, I'd be looking at a bimini. I don't want to even think what would happen with a bimini and having to chase a larger fish around the boat. Not going to happen. A t-top will store rods, electronics etc. As long as it is mounted PROPERLY and I don't care if you have a glass boat or an all welded boat of any size, when the wind picks up you have something to hang on to. Ever try to hold on to the bimini when it's rough? Sure way to end up in the drink. T-top will let you mount the radio antenna and a much higher point than any bimini will.

If the top is NOT mounted properly and I don't care what kind of boat your in you will have major problems with glass or any aluminum boat. Any good quality t-top is made out of a material that matches an industry standard which is 1.90 OD 6063 marine grade aluminum. Bimini tops, I have no idea but I'd dare say they are not all the same and corrosion may be an issue. Aluminum boats in general have been used in saltwater for years and years with zero issues IF you take the necessary precautions just like anything else. Another issue with a bimini is those pesky straps and hardware that seemingly requires constant adjustment. When the day is said and done, it's all about compromise. If I had small children and spent more time cruising than fishing, I'd probably give the bimini some serious thought. However, we don't have small children and we spend more time fishing than cruising so it's pretty much a no brainer.
bayrunner22

Post by bayrunner22 »

Get you a 8ft patio unbrella with wood shaft very cheep stick in back rod holder on center console works really good
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Now that's a concept lmao.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

what's that called again? An Alabama T-Top?

lollllll but really, you'll be surprised at how many folks I see on the flats w/ those giant sunbrellas
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

That's what it be called... it's an LA thing. Lower Alabama that is. With the sun and heat, hell if it works lol.
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

My wife says she and the kids need shade if we are going to be out a good while and a bimini would basically make the back half of the boat unfishable with all the staps. Plus there's no way my highly energetic 7 year old step son wouldn't try to climb on top of it the minute I wasn't looking. It'd be too much temptation. :smt012
So we will be doing the Sowega portable T Top with one or two 8 foot beach umbrellas we got from Sam's for $20 each. :smt004
I'll probably get the Fishmaster model in a year or two. I like their design. I want to see one in person first though.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

bayrunner22 wrote:Get you a 8ft patio unbrella with wood shaft very cheep stick in back rod holder on center console works really good
After my Bimini rotted away, I used a light weight beach umbrella.. welll...mmm until it blew out of the boat on the woodville highway and disappeared under one of those logging trucks. The umbrella worked fine for a while. I recently re-covered the bimini with a cheap tarp from horror-freight and used heavy duty zip-ties to fasten it to the frame. I thought it would look kind of stupid, but the dang thing looks like OEM equipment... spent about $10 dollars for the tarp and zip ties. Now I'll have shade when I need it. :thumbup:
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Carolina Skiff installed my T-top at the factory. Best investment we made! Wife satisfied, gives us something to hold on to plus shade. Like someone has said, anything is a swap off but we like ours.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Carolina Skiffs are a nice boat. Managed to snap a quick photo of mine this morning. 1966 G3 Center Console

EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Badbagger wrote:Thanks for the input, I have had a bimini on a couple of boats and while nice they do have trade offs. If I wasn't worried about fishability with a bimini and was focused purely on the shade factor, I'd be looking at a bimini. I don't want to even think what would happen with a bimini and having to chase a larger fish around the boat. Not going to happen. A t-top will store rods, electronics etc. As long as it is mounted PROPERLY and I don't care if you have a glass boat or an all welded boat of any size, when the wind picks up you have something to hang on to. Ever try to hold on to the bimini when it's rough? Sure way to end up in the drink. T-top will let you mount the radio antenna and a much higher point than any bimini will.

If the top is NOT mounted properly and I don't care what kind of boat your in you will have major problems with glass or any aluminum boat. Any good quality t-top is made out of a material that matches an industry standard which is 1.90 OD 6063 marine grade aluminum. Bimini tops, I have no idea but I'd dare say they are not all the same and corrosion may be an issue. Aluminum boats in general have been used in saltwater for years and years with zero issues IF you take the necessary precautions just like anything else. Another issue with a bimini is those pesky straps and hardware that seemingly requires constant adjustment. When the day is said and done, it's all about compromise. If I had small children and spent more time cruising than fishing, I'd probably give the bimini some serious thought. However, we don't have small children and we spend more time fishing than cruising so it's pretty much a no brainer.
I love my t-top, but it is factory mounted on a fiberglass center console boat. IMO, I would check with the boys down in Perry that install custom t-tops and see what they think about putting one on your boat. Again, IMO, one of their tops will be far better than that one you are looking at. It would be made just for your boat, to your specs.

EJ
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Thanks EJ - I shot them an email with some photos of the boats and my thoughts and we'll see what they come up with.

T