what boat to get?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dombern34
Site Sponsor

what boat to get?

Post by dombern34 »

i've recently sold my last bay boat and am now in the market for a new one ( new to me). i've looked at the xpress's but wasn't sure on how they ride and take water. any input would be awesome. just kinda stuck i want a bay boat that will go in skinny water but big enough to ride a few miles out and not have to worry much if 2-3's came in on me. i like the hewes and got my eye on a few sterling's as well just having a hard time making up my mind. i know the xpress will probably go in some skinny water but don't want one if its going to break my knees. i don't know many makes/models of boats are out there to browse at, just know the most common ones i hear or see online. Like i said any input would be nice and as always greatly appreicated as well.

thanks again
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Re: what boat to get?

Post by onefishtwofish »

You want a large bow platform? How skinny and what length are you looking at? Primary fishing you do? Does a Ranger Bay style look more like what you want or a Carolina Skiff DLV? A panga style is a pretty nice do it all boat as well. I think of a Hewes and a Sterling as a flats boat. I have a Ranger cayman and it is very dry, but a flats boat rather than a bay boat.
For 2s any of those are fine, for 3's you will be less comfortable to fish, but you will make it home.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

i have a 1720 Key west with a 90hr yam.
i stay dry and can get in 1' of water it also rides comfortable
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

What was your last bay boat and why did you sell it?
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

At least a 21 ft something with a tandem axle the front deck
Would be nice if it's big but I want storage more than anything I mostly fish the flats but would like to have something that can handle the bay like Mexico beach or panama I had a 22 ft skeeter bay kinda wishin I didn't sell it now and I sold it cause I want something newer I've looked at some rangers but some are a little much out of my allowance I do appreciate the info everyone thanks again
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Do you want new or late model used? I made a great deal on my Ranger. Just gotta plan on 6 months to look.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
roadtrip
Site Sponsor

Post by roadtrip »

Check your email
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

There's a 20' Skeeter in Cairo for sale.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
DAWG FAN

Post by DAWG FAN »

Check out the new Sea Fox 220XT. These are great riding boats and if you get the tunnel hull you can get into less than a foot of water no problem and also go offshore in 2-3' seas with no problem. I have a 200XT and it can get as shallow as my buddy can in his 19' Hewes and for a lot less money. This is my second Sea Fox and they have both been great boats but the new XT model will hold its own with any of the higher dollar boats. I bought mine from Anglers Marine in Supply N.C. Great people to deal with and the best prices on Sea Fox I found anywhere.
2012 Sea Fox 200XT-SOLD
2003 16' Sundance Skiff
2013 40 HP Mercury Bigfoot
2017 Sea Fox XTS Viper
2017 150hp Yamaha SHO
Danver

Post by Danver »

No complaints on my 18 ft Xpress bay boat.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

danver how does the xpress ride?

i'll look into the seafox i appreicate it.

and 1fish2fish pm me with details please
Danver

Post by Danver »

Very smooth, handles the chop pretty good with very little spray on bad days.
HewesMan

Post by HewesMan »

Get a Pathfinder. They are a little pricey but well worth it from what I read. I have a 16' Hewes and there is just something about the MBC group that they just know how to make really nice boats. I think that before I bought my boat I read that some people that have Stearlings had some problems with cracks in the hull/transom. I think that I was reading that on THT.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

There have been a lot of Pathfinders with transom/cap/hull issues as well.

It all depends on the model, materials and quality control. You can pick any boat manufacturer and find specific production problems. It's the ones that minimize those problems and quickly correct and/or warranty them that sets those companies apart from others.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

i have looked at a couple pathfinders and hewes also the pathfinder is a nice one and i have a few picked out just wanting to browse a little i've always bought a boat quick and this time i'm wanting to take the time and do some research before buying one. the Xpress looks nice it really does and i would have to ride in one and see how it does. just having a hard time spend 20k plus on a aluminum boat not that is anything wrong with them it just seems high to me. has anyone heard anything bad/good about the Bay crafts? thats the style boat i want but they only come with a E-Tech and i've always been a yahama guy so hoping somone on here has heard to delt with this company before. thanks again guys