Assistance needed

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Jpstansell

Assistance needed

Post by Jpstansell »

I'm coming to Tallahassee to take my son to baseball camp June 10. I am planning on bringing my 19 ft center console to go flats fishing for several days. I was considering maybe Keaton beach or steinhatchee. I have fished the coast of Ga near the barrier islands but never in FL west coast. Any recommendations on where a rookie should go? Thanks for any help.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Re: Assistance needed

Post by MudDucker »

Keaton and Steinhatchee are a pretty good haul from Tallahassee. Might want to think St. Marks area.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
bman

Post by bman »

I'm with MD- St Marks is 30 min South of Tallahassee. And there are two good ramps- One in the St Marks Wildlife Refuge and the other a couple of miles up river in the town of St Marks.

Clear water most of the time and plenty of fish.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Ditto the previous two posts. If you are going to use the St. marks National Wildlife Refuge ramp 3 or more days, you can purchase an annual pass for $15. The daily entrance fee is $5
You might want to PM Jumptrout 51 for recommendations as to which holes are best for Trout. He is very forthcoming with that information. :lol:
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

If you have a Federal Duck Stamp yo can enter and launch the SMNWR at no charge.
You have a 3 day pass to fish all my holes at no charge if you post pictures and a report.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Jumptrout51 wrote:If you have a Federal Duck Stamp yo can enter and launch the SMNWR at no charge.
You have a 3 day pass to fish all my holes at no charge if you post pictures and a report.
Why a 3 day pass to fish just 2 holes? :roll:

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

THE FED. GOLDEN PASS IS GOOD FOR LAUNCHING AT ST. MARKS LIGHTHOUSE, NO CHARGE.
PA
SEMPER IF
FUTCHCAIRO
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

I don't know if I'd take off and go fishing while your son is at BB camp. If he gets hurt or injured, you might wish you had been there to provide support or authorization for any treatment that may need to be provided. Not sure how old your son is, but personally, I'd stick around in case you are needed. I'm a parent of a couple teen(s), as a teen they would likely care-less if you were there or not. Just trying to be considerate and objective. :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Wow I appreciate all you kind folks keeping the guy away from my holes at KB and the Hatch, but nothing wrong with letting him fish waaaay down here if he is up to it :lol:

Jpstansell

You may want to check out http://www.keatonbeachmarina.com/default.htm for local info at Keaton and note that you can use the lift so you don't have to dunk your trailer in that nasty salt water, cost is $10. They link to one of the local guides reports as well as weather, common public numbers, their cabins etc. in the area. I tend to fish North around Adams Beach/Yates Creek and the flats out from those locations. The marina usually has pinfish for around $8/doz or the common jig/gulp or DOA shrimp will work. There is a very nice public boat ramp at Steinhatchee $5/day. That said they are both a good haul from Tally, so the info about St. Marks is good, but if you prefer KB/SH I would put in at KB and you can run down towards Steinhatchee if you want.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
JPVolunteer
Site Sponsor

Post by JPVolunteer »

Maybe they're both doing baseball and fishing. That's what I would do.
Jpstansell

Post by Jpstansell »

Is St. Mark area easy to navigate out? Any rocks to worry about? Any local fish camp or hotels there?
Jpstansell

Post by Jpstansell »

What about shell island fish camp at St marks?

Thanks for the help.
JPVolunteer
Site Sponsor

Post by JPVolunteer »

I'm a total saltwater rookie this year and I've only had to push myself off oyster bars twice. :o The channel leaving St. Marks is well marked. I'm not usually in a hurry so when I cut out of the channel at the mouth of the river I just go slow and watch what I'm doing. Lots of trout just a little ways out.

It being only a 20 minute pull from Tally, I haven't stayed at Shell Island Fish Camp but it looks like a pretty cool little place.
filetandrelease

Post by filetandrelease »

Yes, the st. marks channel is clearly marked. If you decide to go east there are some rocks, but they are a little further down. If you go west from the channel, there isn't much to hit except a sandbar and oyster bars that are close in. We fish out of the fish camp and it's a great place. Nothing fancy, but they redid some of the cabins. They have all the fishing essentials you need and friendly people that work there that will point you in the right direction. They also have small rental fishing boats if you don't want to bother with towing yours.