Ugly stick for inshore fishing

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

homboyfsu

Ugly stick for inshore fishing

Post by homboyfsu »

What do you think about Ugly Stick Rods for inshore fishing?
slowroller
Site Sponsor

Re: Ugly stick for inshore fishing

Post by slowroller »

I got 3 ugly stick lites. I like em'. Good for the price. Think there 7' or 7'6". Got Abu 5500's on em.:thumbup: :thumbup:
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Too heavy, unresponsive but you can beta them against a gunnel without fail.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I have 2 Ugly's and 3 Ugly lites :thumbup: The lites are a tad bit limber for long cast "to much give", the regular Ugly's have more backbone and will rip a lip if using power pro :o I use nothing but Spider wire XXX mono, so the regular Ugly's work best for most of my fishin :thumbup: :thumbup: I would use the lites if I used braid line :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I HAVE 5 UGLY STICKS WITH ABU REELS, THEY HAVE BEEN GREAT, NEVER FAILED ME YET, OF COURSE I TAKE CARE OF ALL OF MY FISHING EQUIPEMENT, WASH THEM OFF AFTER SALTWATER USE AND SUN DRI BEFORE PUTTING THEM BACK IN THE ROD HOLDERS. I HAVE THEM LOADED WITH ANDE MONO 10# TEST AND THE COMBO IS GREAT. GET VERY LONG CAST WITH VERY LITTLE EFFORT, I HAVE 3-7 FT, AND 2- 6 1/2 FT.
THEY ARE GOOD RODS.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

I've been using ugly stiks for saltwater for many many years now....the same ones!
I like them just fine. Don't have to worry about breaking them...if I lose one, I'm out 30bucks. They are perfectly suited to fishing inshore, and will wrestle with a bigger fish as well.
My only complaint would be that they are a tiny heavy. They are NOT unresponsive as stated above, especially the ugly stik lite. I have caught many a sheeps head on a shrimp chunk on my ugly stik and had very few 'steals'. And that's a baitcaster.
Yes....of course.....a higher end rod is lighter and more sensitive.
But for the money you just can't beat an ugly stik. I've been using my same three saltwater lites for almost 8 years now. Not a single issue. None.

The only other deal that is close is thew berkley lightening rod......and I would recomend that for cheapo bass fishing cause its much lighter and more sensitive, but also more brittle....
I've been using one for saltwater lately for topwaters in the kayak, and its worked out great.
Id much rather lose my lightning rod over the side of my yak then my 180 dollar shimano crucial.
Lol
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I will say that they aint gonna match up to the ones that RC makes custom :thumbup: but then yer gonna buy 3 or 4 or 5 Ugly's to one of his "and I just aint got that kinds money" :smt010 :smt004 :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Reel Cowboy wrote:Too heavy, unresponsive but you can beta them against a gunnel without fail.
It's a shame all of the good custom rod builders are in China, huh? :-)
Team Jolly Mon
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Most of my rods are Ugly Sticks. They hold up better with all the novice fisermen I always seem to have on my boat. I have had three snatched out of the boat, (the rods, not the fishermen) so they are affordable enough to replace. I like the Ugle Stick Tiger Lites. My favorite is All Star Classics for trout fishing, mounted with Abu 5000, and 5500.

salute2
Semper Fi
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

I have used them for years and they are decent. No $300 custom but none the less a decent rod. I've got 3 in the boat now. 1 lite and two 7' big water spinners.
homboyfsu

Post by homboyfsu »

Thanks Guys for the feedback. I got a inshore Ugly Stick and going to put a Shimano 3000 FJ. Semper FI my brothers!
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

I have one as well, been using it for the last 10 yrs ans still going strong.
Don't major in the minor stuff in life