Jet Outboards - Any Good for the Big Bend?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Jet Outboards - Any Good for the Big Bend?

Post by reelhandy »

Was wondering how they hold up around there with all the sand and grasses? Anyone had any experiences?
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Re: Jet Outboards - Any Good for the Big Bend?

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I had several friends that ran them for years in the river up this way. They all went back to outboards with jack plates. Apparently the jet drive motors have a lot of issues. I don't know what specifically, maybe nobody locally could work on them. You raise a good question, I am curious what some of the experienced outboard folks like Pa and Tin Can think.
Team Jolly Mon
reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Post by reelhandy »

I know the minuses are
- reduced power- I'm looking at a boat with a 2010 Yamaha 90 4stroke. At the jet it's rated at 65hp so it burns gas like a 90 but has 65hp output
- sucks up tons of water and anything in it so sand, oyster shells, grass and anything else are going through the impeller blades. That's my biggest concern actually.

pluses are -
- no prop, and only needs to be in the water enough to get suction so it can get real skinny and it should miss rocks.
- lots quieter than props so they are stealthier
- better maneuverability then a prop driven motor
J Holden

Post by J Holden »

What kind of boat?
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Had an Uncle who had one he used on the Aucilla River. Dang thing stayed messed up from all the grass it would suck up. He got rid of it for that reason.

salute2
Semper Fi
fly n fish

Post by fly n fish »

I've been running a Yami Jet for at least 15 years. They have their applications. You try to run through floating grass matts and you are gonna be unclogging the intake grate. Same with lilly pads. I have never had problems running shallow grass as long as it's not on the surface. I am running it on an alum boat with stick steering up front. I have had a 50 hp 2 stroke and now I have a 4 stoke 30. Not fast but basically, if I am on plane and I don't see it sticking up I don't worry too much. I call my boat "Fearless". It is great for running in these creeks off the bay where the mouths are often shallow and it's plenty deep when you get in. I don't have to worry about getting trapped by a falling tide. I don't worry about oyster bars. The jet is not as efficient as a prop by a long shot. But I use it for what it does best and rarely ask it to travel long expanses of open water. As far as working on it - the only difference is the foot. Berkley used to make the pump but I don't know if they still do or not. I have never had any mechanical problems with the pump and I show it no mercy when I fish. Not true about being more maneuverable - just the opposite. Also, reverse is not as strong as a prop.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

it should miss rocks.
SHOULD, but, Will not.
If they were any good around this area you would see many of them out there. I know of 3 from Keaton to St. Joe.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Post by reelhandy »

The boat i saw it on was a 20' Sea Ark Aluminum. It's a cool boat and would probably do a good job inshore. The jet seems like a good idea for skinny water, but other than that they seem to lose too much against the prop motors.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Flint River Pirate wrote:I am curious what some of the experienced outboard folks like Pa and Tin Can think.
Never owned one, but know a little about others' experience. Fred Jones, owner of Parkway Marine, bought one for himself several years back. On his second trip out it sucked up so much vegetation he couldn't clear it. Had to make it back in by trolling motor. Next trip out it was fitted with a conventional lower unit and prop.

Stenson has a jet drive. Maybe he'll chime in.
What was I supposed to do today?
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

If mine ever gives up the ghost, I will get another one. I am running a 40 Mercury Jet on a 17' Monark aluminum hull and love it. I have owned my jet foot boat for about 5 years.

Dan Ellinor, with FWC was our guest speaker last Thursday at the NFGFC meeting. He and his brother have owned one for the past 10 years or so. It's a 18' Sea Ark with a 115 Mariner Jet.

Both of our boats originally came from Miller's Boating Center in Ocala, Fl. They are pretty much jet foot experts if you need some input. Do not try to put a jet foot on a regular tunnel hull. They can not take an air/water mixture on the intake side - it has to be undisturbed water.

Sea Ark does make a jet tunnel.

That's pretty much the short story. If you have more questions, feel free to call me at 509-3116 and I will try to answer them for you.

Steve Stinson
President
NFGFC