Bay scallop population counts for 2012

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Big Bend Brian

Bay scallop population counts for 2012

Post by Big Bend Brian »

As I start to plan a few scalloping trips for the kids I was curious to see how the scallop population is looking for this year. For over 10 years the FWC has been doing Bay Scallop population surveys and for the last few years they’ve been posting the data on line.

Looking at the FWC website that notes annual abundance surveys it appears it’s gonna be a challenging year to scallop in Steinhatchee, Crystal River looks like it’ll be similar to last year’s abundance, St Marks area looks like it has an improvement in numbers, and St Joseph Bay populations are markedly low.

Below is a link to the annual FWC Bay Scallop population surveys:
http://myfwc.com/research/saltwater/mol ... ps/season/

Where I like to scallop (Steinhatchee) it looks like it we’re gonna have to hunt hard to find em. Nevertheless, we’ll still scallop this year-we’ll just have to hunt harder. We’ll see you out there.
Hoo Yah!!
Brian
Quality Time
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Re: Bay scallop population counts for 2012

Post by DEMON »

I've found those surveys to be unreliable at best. You just got to go to know.
pizzle4

Post by pizzle4 »

Those counts were done pre-debby. I don't think she helped a bit. Dont be surprised to get out there and find a bunch of dead opened up scallops. I sure hope not as I have looked forward to scalloping for years but have not been able to because of various reasons. We will give it a try with the rest of the idiots :wink: on Sunday and see what happens. Good luck!
BayGator

Post by BayGator »

There are no scallops in St. Joe Bay!! :-D
Big Bend Brian

Post by Big Bend Brian »

I don't think you'll see dead scallops as salt water is heavier than than fresh. While the salinty may drop a tiny bit they do have the capacity to withstand some decrease in salinity.
Brian
Quality Time
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

I'll be looking for your reports!