Fly fishing the Big Bend

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Fly fishing the Big Bend

Post by onefishtwofish »

I just went on a trip to Prince Edward Island. It was an anniversary trip, but the wife okayed a half day of trout fishing for me. It was a lot of fun and had been 30 years since I had used a fly rod. Most of the day was speni relearning how to cast in very tight confines. The guide was very patient with me and by the end of the trip, I had caught a few and was feeling better about the casting. Oddly enough, I was better at the long casting than the short little casts.

So, I have a few questions about fly fishing our area. I bought an 8 weight starter type rod/reel. 8 WFF line and a lot of backing. Obviously I will practice my casting first. I figured to pull the boat out on to my yard and cast from the deck to practice. Reds and trout will be my targets.

I also bought a little redfish fly kit. I have caught Spanish on fly (a few) after we made some of our old fashioned beer can flies (tear drop shaped folded aluminum over a hook - spanish love the shine, we used to tear up bream in clear waters with them). Do you think those would work for trout too?

So, my questions. Some of our favorite places to fish are not ideal for sight casting. Do I just blind cast and try different strip length and speeds in the areas that I know produce? Of course, we will try some sight casting as well, just not always ideal conditions. This question may seem silly, but when dredging (what an old timer friend of mine called blind casting), do I roll cast my way along the bank, or does the line spook them even in the deeper water (like 2-4 feet)? What about for trout? We have a couple of spots that are in that same depth around a lot of rocks and bars, so do I work them with different topwater flies and slow wet ones as well? Do I use different strategy on the grass flats for trout? Speed and strip length hints will be greatly appreciated. Any local sources of info on our area? (not spots, I have those, more technique oriented info). I fish a 18' Ranger Cayman, is it reasonable for two guys to fly fish (one on front and one on back) in areas where we are blind casting? Our favorite wading area is no longer easily accessible, so I will start looking for other places to wade as well (a few come to mind).

It feels odd to be starting over like a noob again, but it is all about the challenge. That is what makes the outdoors a blast. Thanks for any thoughts on the subject and feel free to assume I am a total fly fishing noob with any replies. I have been watching some youtube instructional videos to shorten the learning curve, but the learning is a big draw for me.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
mbweimar

Re: Fly fishing the Big Bend

Post by mbweimar »

there are some helpful posts in the fly fishing section. i keep finding myself lurking on there trying to find tips and such, but when its time to go fishing i end up leaving the 5-6 at the house :(
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

You can get by with a lighter outfit, but for overall use/wind/flies, an 8-weight is a good combo for most BB applications with a weight-forward floating line. Unless you hook a big red, jack or cobia, you'll fight most of the fish on the fly line, so 20-pound backing is fine. I use either a step-down leader or knotless and add a short piece of 15- to 20-pound fluoro for a bite leader.

Flies: Deceivers, Clousers and poppers for trout on the grass flats. Slower, short strips of 6-8 inches, especially with the popper. Pause the popper briefly at times. Natural patterns (chartreuse/white, tans or pearls and yellow poppers) are good. Cast around the rock grass patches in deeper water (< 4 feet).

Flies for the reds: Crustacean patterns like Cooks Critter, ghost shrimp, crab patterns are all good, along with spoon flies (Wakulla Wobbler, Dupre, etc.). Sloooow, short strips. Regular casts with minimal false casts or roll casts along the shoreline/creek mouths/grass points will produce reds and the biggest loner trout. Gold, tans, copper with mylar and a weed guard are all good. The reds and trout will also chase down deerhair chuggers, like mini Toad flies, Dahlberg Divers, etc., but those are more difficult to cast, hence the 8-weight so you can punch through the wind. If you're quiet and ease along on the trolling motor or better yet pole, you'll be able to see the fish to sight-cast without spooking them. I generally do most of my fly fishing in depths less than 2 feet but it is a difficult proposition solo.

Spanish/jacks/bluefish/ladies: Epoxy glass minnows are my favorite, but Clousers with a bit of flash work well, too. Fall is the best time in deeper water as the fish harass the bait schools. Run and gun ahead of the schools, cut the motor and drift into casting range. You can't strip fast enough for these speedsters. But once you find the routine, it's a blast.

Hope this helps, onefish. And if you haven't found it yet, we do have a dedicated fly fishing section. Good luck, and let us know how you do.
Flanders
Site Sponsor

Post by Flanders »

For better casting, I've noticed it helps me a lot due to the wind (which blows all the freaking time) to overload my 8 weight with 9 weight line. I can better feel the line load on the back swing and haul much easier, further and more accurate.
I come from a small drinking community with a fishing problem
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Flanders wrote:For better casting, I've noticed it helps me a lot due to the wind (which blows all the freaking time) to overload my 8 weight with 9 weight line. I can better feel the line load on the back swing and haul much easier, further and more accurate.
That would be from poor casting mechanics :wink: :lol:
Flanders
Site Sponsor

Post by Flanders »

Chalk wrote:
Flanders wrote:For better casting, I've noticed it helps me a lot due to the wind (which blows all the freaking time) to overload my 8 weight with 9 weight line. I can better feel the line load on the back swing and haul much easier, further and more accurate.
That would be from poor casting mechanics :wink: :lol:
Well in that case smart arse :smt075 .. lets just say 9wt line on my 8wt rod greatly improves my casting mechanics. :-D
I come from a small drinking community with a fishing problem