St Marks Tomorrow?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

St Marks Tomorrow?

Post by Dockwilson »

Advice for fishing out of St Marks tomorrow? Gonna rent a pontoon boat so we can take my daughter and her fiancé . So I won't have any electronics to go to my spots. How deep should we set up our drift?
Sounds like shrimp are scarce, but we have gulps. Any thoughts?
Is it gonna be a zoo out there?
tallykenjsbetterhalf
Site Sponsor

Re: St Marks Tomorrow?

Post by tallykenjsbetterhalf »

I'm all out of ideas. Fished from 7:00 a.m. until about 2:30 yesterday. Fished way out about 14' deep back in to about two and a half feet, both east and west flats, the channel and some bouys. Used spoons, three or four kinds of gulp, and lures. Tried bottom fishing and the CT. Caught three short trout, two catfish, two sharks, a jack and a teeny tiny red. Nothing to come home with, but still had a good time! Hope you have better luck catching some keepers.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

A good day to watch the holiday warriors launch and tailor at the ramp :wink:
Fireworks on the river at dusk, lots of boats, auto traffic, gawkers and law enforcement. :o
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
tallykenjsbetterhalf
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenjsbetterhalf »

We'll be hanging out on the river for the fireworks. May poke around and do some fishing before hand because going out a bit early to avoid the chaos! :-D
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

I fished the past couple of days out of ST Marks with my nephew and we did very well.. Limited out both days with very nice fish.

This morning we were late getting out and didn't get to our hole till 9:45. At 11:00 we started in limited out...Probably the quickest I've limited out since the 80's..

In response to your question, go to 6' water and start your drift with your bait about 30" deep... gulps should work fine as well as swa's and other plastic. We did pick up two nice loner trout yesterday afternoon on the full tide up a creek on redfish magics.. Also a couple nice flounder. Nary a sign of a red !

postnote: be careful on the river, this morning we ran up on a pecan limb floating in the river about a foot in diameter where it had broken off.. Nephew spotted it just in time. Just wish he'd spotted a particular rock that well yesterday moning! :(
sundown
Site Sponsor

Post by sundown »

To the second part of your question, it looked like a zoo back to the east. When we were going in about 11:30. it looked like a pontoon convoy. All going toward the rock garden.
Montfisher

Post by Montfisher »

Sundown:

Were you guys fishing east or west flats? What color baits?
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Just my opinion..........

Memorial day, Independence day, and Labor Day are amateur days. If you want to be entertained, leave your boat at home, take a chair, cooler, and a beach umbrella to any major boat ramp.
What was I supposed to do today?
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

tin can wrote:Just my opinion..........

Memorial day, Independence day, and Labor Day are amateur days. If you want to be entertained, leave your boat at home, take a chair, cooler, and a beach umbrella to any major boat ramp.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Charlie P
Site Sponsor

Post by Charlie P »

Put in at the Fort around 9:00, wasn't bad at all. Getting out was another story, old lady trying to drive a 24 FT Proline onto the trailer was priceless! 15 boat waiting to get out and they took 30 minutes with both husband and wife yelling at each other, I wish I had a camcorder with me.
mbweimar

Post by mbweimar »

Charlie P wrote:Put in at the Fort around 9:00, wasn't bad at all. Getting out was another story, old lady trying to drive a 24 FT Proline onto the trailer was priceless! 15 boat waiting to get out and they took 30 minutes with both husband and wife yelling at each other, I wish I had a camcorder with me.
i love boat ramp drama :thumbup: