sheep head

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mhmitchell

sheep head

Post by mhmitchell »

Over the weekend I met a guy that let on he has caught many large sheep head on the Apalachicola River bank fishing. I didnt think to ask exactly where but wish I had. I live in Quincy and since I have no boat would love to find some Apalachicola, Ochlocknee or St.Marks river canals etc where I can catch sheep head and other salt water species from the bank and the best times of year to go. Best river baits to use.

Many thanks
Hammer

Re: sheep head

Post by Hammer »

Sheephead are very plentiful this time of year in the Apalacicola around Bloddy Bluff and the Brothers area. They can be caught on the bottom with Fiddler Crabs for bait. Just toss the FC out there with weight to hold the bottom and pull right before the bites ;-)
mhmitchell

Post by mhmitchell »

Can these areas be reached by road?
Where can I get fiddler crabs?

Thanks!
SBW

Post by SBW »

Hammer wrote:Sheephead are very plentiful this time of year in the Apalacicola around Bloddy Bluff and the Brothers area. They can be caught on the bottom with Fiddler Crabs for bait. Just toss the FC out there with weight to hold the bottom and pull right before the bites ;-)
LOL! 9 out of 10 times you will pull up a empty shell. Best technique I have found with fiddler's is putting two on at a time, watching the line very intensely and watching for an ever-so-slight nudge, then nailing him when he comes back for the second one. People who fish via watching their rod-tip will waste bait, as it is too late by then. The absolute BEST technique I have found, however, is tying on the smallest stainless steel hook you can get that will still hold a fish (I've even used bream hooks in a pinch), taking a big shrimp, and cutting him into small segments (less than 1/2") and burying the hook completely inside the shrimp. The sheepshead will then swallow the whole thing. A steel leader isn't a bad idea when using this method.
SBW

Post by SBW »

mhmitchell wrote:Can these areas be reached by road?
Where can I get fiddler crabs?

Thanks!
Anywhere that has Oyster Bars will hold Sheepshead. I find it easier to catch them on falling tide, because then they're forced off the bars. Also, if fishing from a dock or pier, LOOK STRAIGHT DOWN!! You will see monster Sheepshead plucking away at the barnacles on the pylons. As for the fiddler's, Crum's sells them for a dollar a dozen, OR you can easily catch them yourself by the hundreds (though I couldn't tell you exactly where in this area, as I haven't learned my way around yet). If someone puts you on a spot that holds them, go to wherever it is on low tide as they will be out in droves, especially early morning or late afternoon, and put down two lengths of 2x4 in the shape of a wide "V", and then just herd them into the boards and scoop them up by the hundreds.
AshlieKC

Post by AshlieKC »

Live Oak Island and Wakulla Beach have been plentiful with Fiddlers. We normally get ours from Live Oak Island, and even found some at Shell Point last weekend at low tide. Good Luck!
Just take me fishing ;-)
CaptReelThyme

Post by CaptReelThyme »

Back in Louisiana, we took used small circle hooks, with crabs on the piers at night. I also took a flat head shovel and long handle to scrape barnacles ans mussels off pililings as to chum the water. Good luck.
mhmitchell

Post by mhmitchell »

thanks again! If I can find a place to fish from the bank I will certainly try.
sailcat

Post by sailcat »

I get my fiddler crabs on bottoms road going into Panacea. It took me about 15 minutes, with a small net, to get hundereds of the little cridders.
Then I took my Daughter to Bloddy Bluff and went down river and we started catching sheep head. My Daughter caught the biggest one and she
said she put two FC's on her hook, she taught me something that day last week; and I thought I was going to show her how to do it.
mhmitchell

Post by mhmitchell »

ok I guess no sheephead from shore. I dont see any road to Bloddy Bluff.
Thanks for the tips though.
bman

Post by bman »

Yes there is... Its called Bloody Bluff road. Look it up on google maps. North of where the brothers river comes into the appalach. There is a ramp at the end of the road.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
mhmitchell

Post by mhmitchell »

Thanks I will try it this week.
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

Bloody Bluff is of of 65. About 15- 20 miles north of 98.
mhmitchell

Post by mhmitchell »

Thanks