Yeti Coolers question

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

PinFishKing
Site Sponsor

Yeti Coolers question

Post by PinFishKing »

I just noticed Academy has a 75 qt Yeti cooler for $399.99. I saw a Yeti commercial this weekend that said the cooler is built using the same technology and materials as a Kayak. Then I noticed they had an 11.5 foot Pelican Kayak for $379.99. $20 cheaper than a Yeti. What am I missing here? I know Yeti's are great coolers but does anybody else think they may be a little bit overpriced? If they can build and sell an 11.5 foot Kayak made out fo the same materials, don't you think they can build a 3 foot cooler for less?
You just can't fix stupid.
neckmoe

Re: Yeti Coolers question

Post by neckmoe »

Over Priced for sure!
I don't know when I'm gonna catch my next fish but I know when I do it's gonna be awesome!
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

They are on the expensive side for sure. I received a 65 quart yeti for a retirement gift thanks to Jeff Trent. I probably would not have bought this for my own use but after having one I sure do like it. They are HEAVY to manuver by yourself but once they are in place and cold you can't beat them for quality. I am positive they are a life time investment that can be handed down for years to come.
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

The only way they can justify their price is for people who need refrigeration for long trips. We used Igloo coolers for many three and four day trips without a problem.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I have two and I am not impressed. I bought a 45 to keep on the boat and I already had to have it replaced because the lid warped after two fishing trips. The Yeti folks said that the direct sunlight caused it to warp.....WHAT???? I put my 8 year old Coleman Extreme back in the boat and I guess I will put the Yeti inside out of the elements wrapped in bubble wrap so it doesn't become damaged by the outside elements. Other than a jam up maketing strategy....I am not sure what I paid $300 for.
Team Jolly Mon
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I can buy a LOT of ice with $300 :-D I'll stay with the under $70 coolers and spend the savings on ice "should take several years to melt that much ice" :smt004 :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

I've got two and except for the weight I'm OK with the smaller. I can stand on it. :) When you're my size you just don't stand on many ice chests and feel comfortable. I usually have to pry the top open....whether I've stood on it or not.
That's my explanation for their ice keeping ability....can't get them open.
My boats run much faster without them! :o
The larger which takes two men to manhandle I would gladly resale at a reasonable loss. :roll:
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
slowroller
Site Sponsor

Post by slowroller »

I love my 75. BUT, You better put it in the boat before you put ice in!! Keeps ice like nothing i've seen.Dont know if I would pay the 390.00 sticker, I did some bartering for mine. :thumbup: :beer:
Flanders
Site Sponsor

Post by Flanders »

I have a theory; "Yeti's are for folks who can't fish"

I will be happy to explain:
If you are a good fisherman, then you are not on the water as long before you limit out as those that can't fish. Hence you are able to get to your beer faster than others before ice melts. Therefore no need for a Yeti. A simple 75 dollar +/- cooler will work just fine.

If you can't fish, well, the opposite applies. You are on the water longer. Therefore your ice and beer need to be stored in a higher end cooler in order for your beer to remain refreshing and cold for when you finally give up on trying to limit out and come in.

Yes/No? I think it makes perfect sense. My cooler cost 20 dollars :-D
I come from a small drinking community with a fishing problem