Storm Prep Tips - Isaac Storm Chatter

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Storm Prep Tips - Isaac Storm Chatter

Post by mjsigns »

Rodbow just called me and said that Lowe's has sold $47,000 in generators since Thursday. He also said that the EOC (Emergency Operation Center out at State World) anticipates a Category II at the time of landfall around Tuesday evening. SIX (6) Forecast models show a landfall at Pensacola. Tropical force winds extend currently outward 205 miles away from the center of the storm.

Storm Prep Tips

Generator to keep your fridge and freezer running if the power goes out.
Fill your gas tank of your vehicles and any portable gas cans for your generator.
Tarps for your Roof or your Neighbors Roof. Harbor Freight is having a RUN on tarps.
You might want to move your boat to an open area that is free of trees.
Get your propane tanks filled for your grill, because it might be your only cooking appliance.
Stock up on bottled water, and canned foods that will require little preparation.
Batteries for flashlights, and your weather radio.
God Help us fighting the Mosquitoes.

PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY SHOULD BE
RUSHED TO COMPLETION.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Re: Storm Prep Tips - Isaac Storm Chatter

Post by wevans »

Just to add to the list.
Fill your boat with fuel only "don't mix the oil for a 2 stroke" to use with the gen., in case it's a long outage.
Cleane your gutters before the rain starts.
If you live in a flood prone area, move at least one vehical to high ground on Monday evening.
If you have ditches and/or a culvert, make sure the grass id mowed and the culvert is clear.
If you have a porch, you can put hog wire across the legnth of it to protect windows from large limbs and such :smt004
I'll add more if I think of it :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

Whats the number ONE thing --------------------------------------------------------- BEER !
Number two is ice ----------------------------------------------if you don't have a generator!!
RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

charlie tuna wrote:Whats the number ONE thing --------------------------------------------------------- BEER !
Number two is ice ----------------------------------------------if you don't have a generator!!

I like the way you think! I got BEER! Have ICE machine at my shop, might have to switch the Genny from house to shop. ICE machine during the day and house for freezer and fans at night. Been looking for a cheap Honda E1000i on CL for the shop, but haven't found yet.
RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

This got me thinking. I've had my Generator for at least 7 years now and have never needed it. I think that might be because we haven't had a named storm hit here for a while now. Well now we have one headed this way and it has lit a fire under my rear and made me go ahead do this.

Pretty easy, all I had to buy was the box/plug and Ginny plug. Already had the 8 gauge wire and flex. Now, I just wish I had a small Ginny for my shop.....
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

After seeing this am's forecast, I am thinking this will be a non-event. We may get some needed rain out of it, but not much else in the big bend area. I hope I am right.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Sea Dawg
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Dawg »

Pa Says "FUTCHCAIRO"] MORNIN ALL, LOOKS LIKE OUR FRIEND IS GONNA HEAD MORE TOWARD TEXAS THAN HERE.
PA
SEMPER FI[/quote]
bman

Post by bman »

Thankful it's turned but sorry for anyone in its path.
I think this was a good warning for us all to prepare for the next one!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

The two best models are currently 300 miles apart one says east one says west, they have no idea where this thing is going so they split it down the middle... Just need to keep watching and moderate prep til it settles down and they get a good read on it.

THE TRACK FORECAST BEYOND DAY 2 HAS BECOME PROBLEMATIC. DYNAMICAL
MODELS DEPICT THE CYCLONE MOVING INTO A BREAK IN THE SUBTROPICAL
RIDGE NORTH OF THE GULF COAST IN ABOUT 72 HOURS. HOWEVER THERE IS
A LARGE SPREAD AMONG THE MORE RELIABLE TRACK MODELS. FOR EXAMPLE...
THE ECMWF FORECAST IS ABOUT 300 N MI EAST OF THE GFS SOLUTION AT DAY
3. SINCE THE DYNAMICAL MODEL CONSENSUS HAS SHIFTED WESTWARD...THE
OFFICIAL TRACK FORECAST IS MOVED A BIT TO THE WEST OF THE PREVIOUS
ONE. THIS REQUIRES AN EXTENSION OF THE HURRICANE WATCH WESTWARD
ALONG THE LOUISIANA COAST. IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT THERE IS
GREATER THAN USUAL UNCERTAINTY IN THE TRACK FORECAST.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

It looks like wwe in the Cedar Key will pretty much miss the storm at this point. For those who will not be so lucky our prays go out for you and your familys. When it is over if you need help let us know.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Tropical Storm Isaac Should Rival Hurricane Katrina

... In terms of energy prices, it’s very likely that the oil and gas markets will react bullishly to Isaac when traders come back to work on Monday, particularly if the computer models verify a track toward some of the more heavily concentrated oil and gas rig areas off the coast of Louisiana.....

Time to filler-up !

http://www.forbes.com/sites/weatherbell ... e-katrina/
Daybreak

Post by Daybreak »

All of you on the coast get ready and be careful. I have to go down to Cross City for a funeral on Wednesday and my daughter lives in Steinhatchee. So I am watching everything by the hour. Praying for all of those in the path for minimum damage and for needed rain.
Daybreak
CaptReelThyme

Post by CaptReelThyme »

The one thing that every generator needs is ... A heavy duty chain and lock. I had one grow legs few years ago.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

I converted all my portable generators to LP gas back in 05 no longer have to worry about bad gas, clogged carbs or keeping/storing gasoline (sounds like a boat problem). Pretty easy conversion for the smaller ones, my big one got a new carb which had the conversion done professionally. Looking at 60 gallons of gas sitting in 5 gal cans in the garage helped me decide...
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

Spent a few hours yesterday getting things prepped. Put out about 100 landscape pavers around the pool, Faye had flooded my back yard and it took two weeks for the pool to clear up again. Also cleaned out my gutters. This is something I do at least once a year, and there are no trees overhanging my roof, but I still filled a 5 gallon bucket twice with leaves and asphalt dust. Thanks for the reminder!
850-273-8818