Okuma Reels

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Rainman
Site Sponsor

Okuma Reels

Post by Rainman »

I was doing some looking around the web and read some articles about the new Okuma Helios and RTX spinning reels. Seem like a bang for the buck. I don't believe they are on the market yet but was curious if anyone has any of the current Okuma spinning reels and would care to share their opinions or if any of our Pro's have the inside scoop. I've copied and pasted some text below about the specs on the RTX.

RTX Reels Feature:
• Extremely light weight C-40X carbon frame, sideplate and rotor
• Multi-disc, Japanese oiled felt drag system
• 7BB + 1RB Stainless steel ball bearings
• Quick-Set anti-reverse roller bearing
• ALG: Precision AlumiLite alloy main gear and oscillating gears
• Machined aluminum, 2-tone anodized spool
• Precision Elliptical Gearing system
• Rigid, forged aluminum handle design with EVA handle knob
• Hydro Block watertight drag seal
• Durable 1-pcs solid aluminum, gun smoke anodized bail wire
• RESII: Computer balanced Rotor Equalizing System
• RTX spinning reels are backed by a 1-year limited warranty
konrad

Re: Okuma Reels

Post by konrad »

I owned two a few years back. Can’t remember the model but want to say I paid around $130 each. They worked great the first year and had a very smooth drag system. In the second season they both start feeling rough with one seized up on me. I had a hell of a time dealing with their customer service department so to make a long story short they both went in the garbage and I will never buy another one.
Rainman
Site Sponsor

Post by Rainman »

Thanks for the response. That's the kind of info I was looking for. It does seem you get what you pay for. I've been doing some comparisons on shimano's website and I may just go with the stradic, a lot of great features for the price. I haven't ventured into the > $100 reels yet but I'm definitely considering it.
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

konrad, you had to throw yours away because you didnt get fishin fool to clean yours. he just serviced mine, and it feels like new. Its bout 4 years old and still catchin fish
billy32303

Post by billy32303 »

I've got one of the v's and it is a great reel.
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

For a long time I thought that Shimano was the only way to go, a good friend who is a guide started me on Okuma last year and so for they have been great
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I bought a Okuma Baitfeeder a few years ago for my bait rig. I love it. I have caught a 6 foot bull shark, 35# black drum, a ton of slot and over reds, several big rays - all on a Medium action rod and 20# braid. It was just kind of an afterthought reel to have as an extra and I love it-has been tough as nails and the drag is still smooth. With that being said, all my other reels are Shimano.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

The Okuma reels I have serviced are pretty good overall. Like Shimano, Daiwa and others, there are high end and low end products in their line. The high end reels tend to last longer, have better features and components and can be repaired more reliably.
That being said, I am a Shimano fan. I have been fishing them for years and am very familiar with their products. You will not be disappointed with the new Stradic FJ. It is equal to or better than the Sustain of just a few years ago. I am looking at a Sustain now. Not sure if I want to pull the trigger on $300+ but I like the reel. If I don't get one I will probably get a Stradic. Good solid performance and reliability.
Seachaser

Post by Seachaser »

I have several Okuma epixors. Great reel and good bang for the buck. But, they are not Shimano or Diawa.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

Okuma makes most of its money from being an OEM manufacturer, in other words they make reels for other companies, and those companies put their own name on them. Awhile back they started to get into making their own brand. Good chance you have used a reel made by Okuma but with some other name on it like Daiwa, Shimano, etc.. I believe they are the world's largest manufacturer of fishing reels in the world.

This does not mean they make good or bad reels, they just aren't some start up brand though. I have been looking at the RAW II for a cobia/king reel in the future.
Sun Daze

Post by Sun Daze »

I have 6 or 8 Epixor EB30's and love them! Never had one not work! I do like the Shimano's but the Okuma reels I have owned have been durable and reliable. I'm not the best at regular maintainence, but these seem to handle abuse well.