A Serious Matter In My Opinion

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

A Serious Matter In My Opinion

Post by Scoop Sea »

This is a copy/paste from my FB account discussing the fact that FEMA went ahead and sent their proposed Flood Insurance Study to the Federal Register to be published, which basically means, we only have 90 days to appeal the study. Having been present with the meeting between Wakulla and FEMA, it is very disheartening to know that they did not even consider our request for time to review their data. Of importance to note is the fact that it took FEMA nearly 6 years to complete this study, however, they will not allow Wakulla County 6 months to review the data. If you agree with my assessment or share my concern, please feel free to copy/paste this write up as many times as you need to make sure your neighbors know about the proposed changes. Thanks, Chris

On 9/13/12 Wakulla County reps met with FEMA to discuss their new Flood Insurance Maps. FEMA assured Wakulla County that there would be time to research their data before they finalized it, at which time the "appeals clock" started (which is only 90 days). During that meeting, Wakulla County verbally requested a 6 month reprieve to study the data (which took FEMA nearly 6 years to collect with the...ir study). FEMA advised that this request could not be granted at the meeting and instructed Wakulla County to formally request a "hold" on the project. Wakulla County did this on 9/21/12. However, it turns out that FEMA finalized their preliminary Flood Investigation Study on that same day, ultimately starting the 90 day appeals process. Folks let me be clear: the new Flood Maps actually help my own property, however, I have a grave concern over the data that was collected to make these new maps and the fact that the Federal Government is shoving this down our throats without our input. We have yet to see the information used to develop the maps, yet FEMA wants us to go ahead and accept the maps. Let me help you visualize this matter: imagine you are allergic to nuts and somebody offers you up a homemade cookie, aren't you going to want to know what recipe (and ingredients) were used to make the cookie before you bite into it? It's the same case here. It could be that the best information and data was used to make the new maps, HOWEVER, without having a chance to evaluate the data, we won’t ever know if this is the case. If it took FEMA nearly 6 years to develop this Study, doesn't it seem reasonable that we have 6 months to review their data? Please pass this message around and get your neighbors involved, they’re the ones who will ultimately pay if these maps were formulated incorrectly. Furthermore, please come out to this Monday's (October 1st) Wakulla County Board of Commissioners Meeting and express your desire to see these maps challenged at the Local, State, and Federal level. A review of the data may not result in any changes, however, "We The People" should be given the opportunity to review the data. Friends on FB, please spread the word on this worthy matter. This could have a huge economic impact on our County if the calculations werent done correctly. Thanks, Chris
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Re: A Serious Matter In My Opinion

Post by tallykenj »

FEMA has some explaining to do.
The Back Porch
Jollyman

Post by Jollyman »

Any idea of where we can see this new map? I have complete confidence FEMA will do what is in there best interest and in the process screw us folks as if the insurance companies are loosing money in wakulla. I will keep an eye on this and thanks for the heads up.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

They are the Federal Government. They have big guns and jets and stuff. You will do what they tell you to.

Welcome to the new USA!

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

jollyman you do realize that ONLY the federal government underwrites and prices standard flood insurance. it is done through FEMA via The National Flood Insurance Program. Does not matter what agent/company you use it is all NFIP and costs the same. NFIP is heavily subsidized and still owes the US taxpayers about $17 billion from Katrina since they don't charge the true risk related rate.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

The maps can be found at: http://portal.nwfwmdfloodmaps.com/

Put in your address and zoom to it.

Zload is correct about the insurance rates.
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."