Lanark cobia

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

eatsleepfish

Lanark cobia

Post by eatsleepfish »

We managed to make it offshore 3 days this month and experienced an amazing cobia bite all 3 days. I have been hoping for a better forecast so we can do it again, but it is not looking good. Each day we boated 6 - 8 fish and released 40 + lb. fish. It was just nuts. And of course experienced a few mishaps, damaged gear, bumps and bruises. The biggest fish we estimated was pushing 80 lbs and was a beast. That was on the first day and when I learned an important lesson: Always have a gaff in the boat. (kind of new to this offshore thing). After "releasing" a big fish (40-50 lbs) boatside by trying to get it in a net that just wouldn't fit and watching it slowly swim away, I decided if we hooked another big one we would have to wear it down and just manhandle it into the boat. 30 minutes later I hooked up with a 45 lb. fish and managed to get it in the boat, but it wasn't easy. My biggest cobia to date, but ended up not even getting its picture taken because of what happened a bit later. After fishing for a couple of more hours, hooking some BIG fish and getting broke off, releasing some smaller ones I hooked into the big one. This fish absolutely kicked my butt. After we got a good look at it my son asked "So, how are we going to get this one in the boat?" I told him the same way as the last one trying to sound confident. I really put the boots to it and had it worn down boatside after about 15 minutes, handed off the rod and went for the grab. It was so heavy I got it halfway out of the water and slipped out of my hands. OUCH, try again, bend the knees, let out a grunt and it is on the deck! This fish measured 54" to the fork and had a huge girth. I was so tired and beat up I couldn't lift it for the photo.

Here are some highlights:

RCS
Site Sponsor

Re: Lanark cobia

Post by RCS »

Awesome job on the cobia!
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

MAN, THAT IS ONE NICE COBE, THANKS FOR THE REPORT AND PICS.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

EPIC... just flat-out EPIC! It don't get no better than that (and if it does hard to enjoy it unless you work out like Arnold Schwarzenegger!). MEGA-CONGRATS! salute1 :thumbup: :beer: :beer: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

Frikkin' Wow!
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
Ranaman

Post by Ranaman »

Crazy great job!!
Think our resident cobia slayers Woopty and BBG are ittle envious, know I am! you posted in offshore how far were you??