Horseshoe Beach/ Shired Island

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jslorenz3

Horseshoe Beach/ Shired Island

Post by jslorenz3 »

I'll be heading down to Shired Island next weekend with some buddies for the Annual FSU Fishing Club camping trip. I've only been down there once before and was totally unprepared and had no idea what I was doing. I only had one bite all weekend. It was in the spring, but I'm hopeful that the fall trip will be more productive.

Has anyone been down there or have any advice about any spots? Anything helps considering my total number or fish can't get any lower than last trip. Thanks everyone! :thumbup:
Scalp 'em Noles!
FSU Class of 2016
Civil Engineering Major
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Horseshoe Beach/ Shired Island

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Don't drink the water at Shired.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
jslorenz3

Post by jslorenz3 »

JT-
Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure to save some room in the cooler for water :-D
Scalp 'em Noles!
FSU Class of 2016
Civil Engineering Major
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Not sure I would eat fish from there either. Most polluted water in Florida.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
JC_UF_ITK

Post by JC_UF_ITK »

I've fished both a few times and they seem completely opposite of each other. Horseshoe, especially north, is pretty clear water with a lot of grass. Water depth is usually pretty consistent until you get near the grass. Shired is dirtier, shallower water with a lot of creeks to work. Both places hold a lot of fish, but be careful of shallow spots and tides. I'd recommend getting a good map to see where some of the bars are located. Pepperfish Keys are a few miles north of Horseshoe and are a popular place for locals to fish. You won't find much to do at either place except for fish. Shired is nothing but a boat ramp and last time I was in Horseshoe, they barely had a restaurant. There might be a bait shop or two open in Horseshore, but get whatever you need before you go to Shired. Good luck and post some reports!
jslorenz3

Post by jslorenz3 »

I'll be fishing more at Shired Island out of that ramp. So just work some of the creeks?
Scalp 'em Noles!
FSU Class of 2016
Civil Engineering Major
HewesMan

Post by HewesMan »

Maybe 3-4 miles west of Shired there are a few grass flats that hold mostly trout. One is marked with a tripod style bird pole. There is another flats spot about 1 mile further south of there. North of Shired there are numerous creeks that I used to fish that would produce reds and bigger trout. Just watch out for all of the oyster bars. Some are marked but many are not. I think that there are some other grass flats closer to Shired but it's been 8+ years since I have really been there to fish since I moved over here.

I would stick to the creeks and watch tides.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Out from Shired about 1.5 to 2 miles are some grass flats with large spotty bottoms. Good sp trout fishing.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
jslorenz3

Post by jslorenz3 »

Thanks for all the help guys! :thumbup:
Scalp 'em Noles!
FSU Class of 2016
Civil Engineering Major
jslorenz3

Post by jslorenz3 »

Just wanted to give everyone a report from the weekend. Between a few boats, we fished Shired and Johnson creeks and caught some nice reds and some trout. Do not leave your boat tied to the pier if you ever stay here. One of my friends had his boat stolen off of the pier on Saturday night while we were sitting around the fire 100 yards away. Just be careful out there. Its sad that you cannot even leave your boat tied up to a dock without worrying about it getting stolen. But all in all, it was a good weekend and good fishing.
Scalp 'em Noles!
FSU Class of 2016
Civil Engineering Major
lizbeth
Site Sponsor

Post by lizbeth »

That is a shame. what does that say about our local towns..sad..just sad.
Pirate Girl