Fishing St. Marks on Saturday Jan. 19

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

setty7

Fishing St. Marks on Saturday Jan. 19

Post by setty7 »

Hey guys,
Buddy and I are headed out saturday morning to st. marks. Its gonna be cooler than it has been. Where do yall think the reds/trout will be? Thinking about just using live shrimp and some gulps. Anyother suggestions? Going out around 9 am. Thanks guys!

Setty
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: Fishing St. Marks on Saturday Jan. 19

Post by fishinfool »

15 MPH winds out of the NE should make for an interesting fishing trip. Stick close to shore and target the creeks and shallow bars, preferably on the leeward side of something. Twitch baits, spoons and jigs worked slow should do the trick. Crack of dawn through 9:30 should be your best bet.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

My last trip we tipped the hook baited with gulp shrimp with pinfish cut bait. It worked better than gulp alone or live shrimp. Use a strip of pinfish about an inch long. We didn't catch anything with our plugs. For redfish use anything GOLD. Water tempreature will be cooler so work slow.

Post a report! We like to read fishing reports.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

My last trip we tipped the hook baited with gulp shrimp with pinfish cut bait. It worked better than gulp alone or live shrimp. Use a strip of pinfish about an inch long. We didn't catch anything with our plugs. For redfish use anything GOLD. Water tempreature will be cooler so work slow.

Post a report! We like to read fishing reports.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
setty7

Post by setty7 »

Caught nothing, I would like to know some holes and tips on where to fish. We tried out by the crows nest and little areas going out to the flats along side the banks. A little upriver but nothing.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

If it makes you feel any better, things were not happening at the Aucilla on Saturday either. The difference between the moring high and low tide was only about a half - foot and the fish were not in the same places they were when the weather was colder.

We got about 6 nice trout and a couple small reds between 3 of us.
setty7

Post by setty7 »

Well we had nothing man. So I guess ill start by asking when it is a good time to go out? Like what do the tides need to be in order for it to be a good day? Weather patterns play an effect? Thanks for yalls help!
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Winter tides are more drastic than Summer. 3-4 foot difference between the hi / lo in the Winter and 2-3 foot difference in the Summer is pretty good. The tides link on the home page of this site will allow you to print a monthly chart for the areas you fish so you can choose your weekends.

Cold weather pushes the reds and trout up in the rivers, and warm weather spreads them back out. Obviously this most recent cold snap wasn't cold enough.

- Steve
setty7

Post by setty7 »

Thanks Steve! So when I'm looking at the tide chart what do I look for to see if it will be a good day to go out? Also if it's cold outside the water temp gets cooler therefor the fish go up river? Also if the sea heights are greater than 4ft that is a sign not to go correct?