Wacissa Water Level

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Wacissa Water Level

Post by big bend gyrene »

Anybody been out on the Wacissa this year?

If so, have any scoop on whether the water levels will allow padding/portage down to Nutall Rise?

Last question for those who've made the trek, any "best" time of year to do it? Got some buds hitting me up on the idea, so any / all info on making the trip will be much appreciated.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
yardman32317
Site Sponsor

Re: Wacissa Water Level

Post by yardman32317 »

I've found the best times to go are in the fall and spring.
Summer will bring the bugs out and in the Slave Canal there is no escape.
The water level is better than it has been, close to normal.
The only question is how many pull overs you are going to encounter.
Canoes can be a big pain in the butt with pull overs so I would advise sit on top kayaks.
Long sleeve shirts and no short pants...the spiders can be a little wicked where ever you might stop for a break or meal.
A buff or another type of covering for your face and neck.
Good water shoes like Keens or something that will stay on your feet in mud if you have to walk through some.
Bug spray because the mosquitos never take a break in there, an extra paddle or two is a must.
The usual waterproofing of whatever needs waterproofing.

A GPS if you haven't been there in a while as the opening to the Slave Canal can be tricky to find.
Call the Wilderness Way and see if they can give you an update on the conditions.
Georgia Ackermann guides there all the time and would have the latest and greatest.
Sua Sponte
RLTW
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

MANY thanks for the detailed reply, Yardman. Exact info I was looking to find. Shame is I live very close to the river, but let the push for salt fishing pull me away from her too much... haven't paddled the river in years. Hoping to correct that mistake soon, though. :thumbup: :-)
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
DWilliams

Post by DWilliams »

The upper end is navigable, but low. The bridge looks like a spillway with at least a 1' drop. Was there last weekend.
yardman32317
Site Sponsor

Post by yardman32317 »

DWilliams wrote:The upper end is navigable, but low. The bridge looks like a spillway with at least a 1' drop. Was there last weekend.
Thanks for the update, was there a few weeks ago so the level has dropped.
Definitely call Wilderness Way.
Sometimes a low level will allow you to scoot under some of the logs.

One thing is for certain...nothing stays the same in there, every paddle is different.

Let us know how it all works out.
Sua Sponte
RLTW