Turkey from they yak

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

skitterwalk

Turkey from they yak

Post by skitterwalk »

Me and my buddy Nathan got on em by kayak!! Started the morning before light and slipped on the water starting off the morning with some owl hoots and after about 15 minutes we get a response! About 75-100 yards away a gobble rang out, the first one of the morning. We knew how close he was so we quickly beached our yaks and set up at the base of tree yelping and clucking, letting the gobblers know we were there. But still no response since the first gobble to the owl hoot. We tossed ideas around like, "maybe he has hens with em". or maybe he heard us walking through the mud. About 10 minutes pass and Nathan hits the slate call one good time and GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLEEE! Our questions get answered with a loud DOUBLE GOBBLE! That's right two gobblers hammered about 30-40 yds. away through the swamp! Nathan and I look at each other eyes wide open. Scrambling to get the GoPro on I figure out the battery is dead :twisted: and before we knew it we heard splashing in the water on the other side of the trees so we knew it was about to go down weather we were ready or not. They come strutting in like they own the place and BOOOMMM! (right next to my ear not to mention) the bird buckles over and goes to flapping. Nathan hands me the shotgun to get the second gobbler but he disappeared. Amazing experience. Im behind the hammer tomorrow 8)

He hadn't had enough so we hit the flats for about an hour and he stuck a nice 23" red (the 2nd he has ever caught and definitely biggest) He was a happy camper.
Last edited by skitterwalk on March 21st, 2013, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
bman

Re: Turkey from they yak

Post by bman »

Sweet way to go after one!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Exciting!! Carry 2 guns.....
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
DeanMac

Post by DeanMac »

cONGRATS AND nice pictures
Take a kid hunting or fishing and you will be rewarded.
oreocwby

Post by oreocwby »

Awsome hunt!!
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Good deal. Never heard of anyone yakking for turkeys. That thinking out of the box!
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

NATE !!... What about a pic of the red ?
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

Congrats. Next time let the other gobbler start whooping up on the shot bird before moving to get the gun. His attention will be on fighting and not you as much.
Don't major in the minor stuff in life
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

That sounds like a surf and turf slam to me.
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Nice!!
Rangerpat
Site Sponsor

Post by Rangerpat »

Great teamwork, excellent strategy and tactics!
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I don't want to be a killjoy, because y'all sound just like me and my bud's at this age, however, be careful that you have permission to hunt where every you leave you kayak. There is some guys here from Brooks Co. that floated the river to hunt and then when they got out of the boat, they were on someone else's land that did not appreciate the intrusion.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!