Fishing - St. Marks 4-5-2013

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Fishing - St. Marks 4-5-2013

Post by mjsigns »

Got a late start under grey skies and a biting wind. After chatting with WCSO Deputy, :oops: I paid the $5 ramp fee and we put in at the Fort, headed down to the lighthouse. River temp 67.5. Moved out on the flats just east of the lighthouse 66.5. Tried 2.5 foot through 4.5 feet, gulps, no takers no nibbles. Air temp at 58, wind chill felt like 40, fingers & face were numb. Winds surpassed the 15-20 out of the north, and created hard choppy waters. Forecast was "sunny" - incorrect. Windy, cold, white caps made it almost impossible to keep fishing. Cut our losses and headed back to hill where the FWC Officer was waiting :roll: . chatted with him for a while and showed him my empty cooler . After the days events, I decided it would be good to go ahead and pick up an annual boat ramp pass at city hall in St. Marks. (they were very friendly and encouraged me to tell others that the annual pass is the most economical method if you go fishing allot form the Fort. for you! :thumbup: ) Dropped the boat off at 2:15 at the house. packing it in for next Friday (next day off :-D) Needless to say, no fish, nothing broke or lost. A day on the water beats sitting behind my desk all day chasing my tail. :-D
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
mpa_72001

Re: Fishing - St. Marks 4-5-2013

Post by mpa_72001 »

It was sure a lil chilly out there today with that wind and no sun.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

My dad rode down to the Fort this morning just to enjoy the river. He said there where 5 trailers in the parking lot, a misting rain, wind blowing, 50 degrees.......and before he could finish his breakfast 3 of the boats came back in and loaded up.

Not a good day. lol
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
milto
Site Sponsor

Post by milto »

How much is the annual pass for the Fort??
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

Since when did they start charging at the Fort????
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

It was a bad day for fishing. Probably would have been more successful If we had an earlier start.
The launch fee at the Fort at St. Marks is $5. It is based on the honor system. The annual pass is $40, that is 8 launches and it pays for itself. It is important that the fees are collected because it helps the city of St. Marks keep the ramp and parking lot clean and also helps support the community. I think they started collecting the fees after the new ramp was built. Well... Next Friday will have to work for me.
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

how much did your visits with the po-po's cost?
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

You were brave to even try fishing! Any time a man post a "NO Fish CAUGHT" report, I feel he is an honest person. Thanks for the report. Looking forward to reading about a better catching report soon.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Thanks for all the positive responses folks. I tried to bring back some important details like water temps in the different areas. It seems every year, I always "jump-the-gun" on the annual trout feeding explosion on the flats. The water temperature on the flats is only a few degrees below the desired mark (68-76). I feel confident they are out there waiting for the water to warm just a little more. That should ignite their metabolism and sent them into a feeding frenzy.

David - I don't want to go into details about the Sheriff because I know he will be reading this thread. I appreciate Wakulla Counties "Finest" law enforcement officials as they provide us with valuable services in our most needed times. I asked him if they had a quota to meet, and he said, " "No sir, we don't have quotas anymore. We used to, but now we're allowed to write as many tickets as we can." :-D
JohnA

Post by JohnA »

i CAN SYMPATHIZE WITH YOUR FISHING EFFORTS ON FRIDAY. WENT OUT SATURDAY AT ECONFINA. a COUPLE OF SHORTS AND SOMETHING THAT TOOK OFF WITH MY PINFISH ON CORK THAT i JUST COULDNT TURN IS ALL i COULD MUSTER. i AGREE, IF THE WATER TEMPS SPIKE JUST A LITTLE BIT, THE TROUT BITE WILL BE ON. GOING FISHING (NOT NECESSARILY CATCHING) IS BETTER THAN WORKING OR YARDWORK ON SATURDAY ANYTIME:)