The cheating accusation was about me

This is where you can Promote, Talk about or Plan Tournaments.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

The cheating accusation was about me

Post by GaryDroze »

Can't say I'm thrilled this is brought up in a discussion forum instead of at the weigh-in, but so be it. Maybe we'll all learn something. I'm sure not hiding anything. Here goes...

I kept 2 reds while fishing this month's NFGFC tourney. By my tape measure, one was right on the 27" limit, and the other was 25.5 inches. I got to St. Mark's Outfitters well before deadline, and asked for a courtesy measure on the bigger fish before weigh-ins began. Steve said it was over on his ruler (not the ruler Brian was using at weigh-in, but I think the same brand).

At weigh-in, I brought the 25.5" (by my tape) red to the scales. Brian had it at almost 26 inches. So much for my tape. Yes, I'm finding out what brand/model ruler is used at club weigh-ins, and buying one.

I have only been fishing NFGFC tourneys for about 4 years, but I have witnessed plenty of courtesy measures, so I thought they were acceptable. I would NOT have kept the bigger red had it measured over 27" on my tape (the St. Marks Refuge wardens know me by name, and still check my catch whenever they see me, which is of course their job), but I was under the impression that courtesy measures existed to resolve differences between anglers' tapes and the official ruler, AND to keep folks from bringing illegal fish to the scales at weigh-in.

I could very well be wrong. I just went through the tournament rules again and saw no mention of courtesy measures. Fine by me if this is addressed with a change, addition, or clarification to the written rules.

Usually, when somebody is trying to cheat, they are sneaky or secretive about it. How secretive is this public post?

Gary A. Droze
ced0412

Re: The cheating accusation was about me

Post by ced0412 »

You weighed in the legal fish, what's the issue with the tournament?

It happens, and from your description if FWC even checked you I'm sure they would let that one slip.

I wouldn't worry about some idiotic drunk post here, sounds like he didn't know what he was talking about anyways.
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Simple "which ruler is correct" situation. They do vary. Thanks for your honesty Gary. I know that you are not a cheater. :thumbup:
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

The rules were changed this year by Brian S. to agree with Capt. Ron's post above.

To be clear, whoever the "Steve" was that measured Gary's fish, it wasn't me. I already had one of these incidents cost me a few good friends last year, so I resigned the Presidency of the club and steer clear ofthe scales / measuring sticks at weigh ins now days.

I am sure that nobody was intentionaly breaking the rules, and that the NFGFC Board can work to clarify this.

Steve Stinson
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

Know how ya feel about the rulers I have had a few cost me a few times too.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

I wasn't referring to you, Steve. Sorry to hear you had some grief in the past with this issue.

Frankly, a "no courtesy measure" policy makes sense to me. I'd play it safer then and consider 26.5" my personal limit when measuring on the water.

A bit off topic: Does anybody recall exactly what ruler is being used at NFGFC tourneys now? I remember the weighmaster at one of the other annual area tourneys explaining how the measure can differ, based on whether one uses a flat, straight ruler or one with a "V" - shaped trough that you lay the fish in (sorry; I'm sure they have more specific names than that).
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

I am not the Steve either.
The NFGFC ruler is a laser cut ruler manufactured by Skinny Water Products and is extremely accurate.
If the fishes tail falls inside a laser cut slot the fish is over the length on the left side of the ruler.
For a redfish at 27 inches,the 27 is on the left facing the ruler.
The slot is cut through and through the ruler.
If any part of the tail is visible in the slot...it is over.
Same goes for every increment on the ruler.
The club uses the same ruler every tournament so that a consistent measurement is made.
Other area tournaments have borrowed and used the NFGFC ruler due to its accuracy.
Members are encouraged to purchase a SWP ruler OR verify their existing ruler(measuring stick) against the Club ruler.
If a illegal fish is presented to the Tournament Director,that person is obligated to disqualify the fish.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Capt Ron wrote:Back in my tournament fishing days, possessing an illegal fish would have meant automatic disqualification. Even though the fish was not weighed in, it was still illegal.

Then what would be the point of a courtesy measure?
Gary is not a cheater, maybe crazy for wading where he does, but he catches plenty of big fish year round fair and square. There isn't a tourney where he isn't a contender and has won more than his fair share. I'm pretty sure there has never been a question on any fish he has won money with. Mr Mike, I think you are barking up the wrong tree on this one.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Chill-N-Grill
Site Sponsor

Post by Chill-N-Grill »

Gary, Check with Steve the one that measured your fish. He had some skinny water sticks for sale.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Capt Ron wrote:Sorry, but I've never heard of a "courtesy measure". Where did that get started? An angler is responsible for knowing the regulations and adhering to them. Seems to me a courtesy measurement is too late!
Typically a courtesy measure applies when there is more than one angler on a boat or when your measurement may not be the same as the tournament measurement.
It does not imply that an a illegal fish is possessed.
It is to make certain YOUR measurement is acceptable on the tournament stick.
In regards to local tournaments it is used to prevent the embarrassing situation being challenged here.
That is...not to present a oversized fish per the tournament ruler.
In most situations,we are talking about a 1/16 inch or less in measurement .
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

In my limited tournament experience the anglers were advised to compare their measuring device to the official measuring device. If your stick is longer or shorter, it is up to the angler to adjust to the official measuring device. It helps eliminate keeping of over fish and getting a possible ticket.

Noble of Gary to state his side, sounds like he didn't even weigh the fish - so what's the point. People make mistakes, it wasn't weighed.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Believe it or not, I agree with Capt. Ron.

My tape measure had my big red at 27" on the nose, but I knew it might differ from the club measuring device. If I had never heard of the courtesy measure, I'd have left my iffy biggun in the cooler and just taken my shorter one to the scales. 20 minutes later at weigh-in, that's what I ended up doing anyway.

Now that I know the NFGFC uses a SWP ruler, I'll buy one. I'll also assume that courtesy measures are no more, which was not the case at weigh-in this month. I acted in good faith, based on how weigh-ins have been conducted for years.

Hope this ends interest in the thread.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

I can't say what happened there, but I do know one thing. If you use those "stick-on" vinyl rulers on your boat, they WILL shrink with the sunlight on them over time. Always check them occasionally with a good steel yardstick to be sure they are still accurate.

May save you some big bux later....a 15" trout may become a 14.5 when measured by the man...

Of course, here it seems the ruler he used had stretched, not shrunk.....

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.