Red Dot Reels

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dbplug
Site Sponsor

Red Dot Reels

Post by dbplug »

Anybody round here have any experience with these Reels? Opinions?

http://www.reddotreels.com/products.htm
Last edited by dbplug on April 22nd, 2004, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
for petes sake
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Sounds like a good reel at a good deal :thumbup: I just ordered one :-D

$49.99Gulf Series 6000
Line Capacity 220yd - 20lb
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
dbplug
Site Sponsor

Post by dbplug »

Wevans, I would appreciate hearing your experience with the reel.
I travel the State entirely too much and heard a Thursday night fishing show "Louisiana Outdoors" on WWL AM 870 out of New Orleans. Red Dot was a sponsor. They talk trout, reds, flat fish, turkeys, regulations, and a lot of outdoor subject matter. Can only get the station at night - but I picked it up all the way from Naples to Tallahassee.

Don Dubuc, on the air Thursdays from 10PM EST to 11PM EST I think, and on Saturdays as well from 4AM EST to 6AM EST. The show site where you can listen to past shows for free(I like free):

http://www.wwl.com/showdj.asp?DJID=5887

Lemme know.
Last edited by dbplug on April 22nd, 2004, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
for petes sake
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I'll let ya know, and thanks for the link :thumbup:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

wevans, ' been looking for a spinning reel and this might be it. What does everyone say as to the model/capacity? The 4000 is 220 yds of 12 lb, 5000 is 220 yds of 16 lb, and the 6000 is 220 yds of 20 lb.

For general flats fishing is the 16 lb OK?
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I went with the 6000 as an all round reel and I like the heavier line capacity also :-D
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I have invited Mike Doyle of Red Dot Reels to visit the site and maybe join us :thumbup: I think that they would be a welcome edition to our group :thumbup: :-D
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

wevans, please put this reel through the test. I'd like to know if it's a real good reel. I don't think we should have to spend $100 for good reel.
dbplug
Site Sponsor

Post by dbplug »

Wevans, good deal. Maybe you could become the the Sopchoppy field reporter for Consumer Reports.
for petes sake
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

HAHA :smt009 This will be my second spinner ever :o but I have two nephews with a lot of spinner experiance and I expect that they will REALLY give it a workout for me :wink: I have been having to many problems with the Zebco's and figured it was time to start leaving the ol spincasters behind :smt038
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

WHAT! :o You're gonna retire the Zebco's? The 6000 series will be a large reel. It should work well for trolling. I might be interested in one of these reels when the 2000 and 3000 hit the market.
What was I supposed to do today?
Nathan
Site Sponsor

Post by Nathan »

Those do look like good reels for the price. I may pick one up after they release the 3000 size. If I like what I see I might look into becoming a small dealer for them. Definately can't beat American Made.

Nathan
Nathan
Site Sponsor

Post by Nathan »

Decided I couldn't hold out for the 3000 to be released. Ordered a 4000 last night. I'll let ya'll know how it works out.

Nathan
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Gotta agre with TC, need something smaller for them Trouts.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Just got mine in today :smt038 I was hoping ta be pleasantly surprised with the free line, I wasn't :cry: I'll just put it with the other cain-pole only line :smt011 The reel feels very smooth and is dang shure pretty I'll put some Spiderwire XXX 20# on it and give it some cast sometime during the week :thumbup: :beer: :beer: