Rod Question - Best for the Money

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Rod Question - Best for the Money

Post by big bend gyrene »

Understanding that this questions is about as open for debate as what boat is best for the big bend area, I'll try to qualify my questions regarding rods a bit:

First, I'm looking to replace old battle scarred rods that are either a) peeling horribly, 2) have guides that are broken, 3) have cork handles giving in to age / abuse.

Looking for two primary size groups -- one for inshore use with redfish the primary target, the second being for cobia, grouper, sharks, kingfish offshore. I strictly use spinning inshore... use bigger spinning and bait reels offshore.

While I would love the rods to have finesse, actually would place longevity of the rods first with finesse a close second.

Over the years have amassed a pretty random grouping of rods and reels, and going forward would like to consolidate to one or two brands (even if different lengths / lght-med-heavy & speed ratings) for the two different setups... inshore vs offshore.

So all the above shared, if you could only stick to one brand for inshore rods and one brand for offshore, and longevity of the rods was the key goal, let's hear the recommendations. Have done fine catching fish with the ones I've bought in the past... just looking, again, to narrow down random brand use and buy some increased longevity as compared to some of the rods I've had that aged quickly (and I wash them the same day after each and every trip / DON'T store them outside in abusive conditions). All wisdom shared will be greatly appreciated. :thumbup: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Re: Rod Question - Best for the Money

Post by Rhettley »

That's a good question that I'm gonna be absolutely no help on but look forward to the feedback. I used to have several favorites. Falcon was for a good while the best rod for my needs by far. The last few I've picked up in stores just didn't please me. I can't seem to find anything I'm happy with. I either don't like the grip or the action. A lot of rods don't seem to be as sensitive as they should be for the money now. I'm not spending $200 to $300 on one either. Quality fishing gear has gotten ridiculously expensive!
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

ABOUT 75% OF MY INSHORE RODS ARE UGLY STICK, I STILL HAVE SEVERAL OFF SHORE RODS THAT THE NAME HAS LONG GONE AND CAN NOT READ THE NAME. I CAN NOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME REMEMBER THE NAMES OF THOSE RODS. TED WILLIAMS GAVE ME 4 WAY BACK WHEN WE WERE FISHING TOGETHER, I THINK THEY WERE SEARS ROEBUCK RODS BUT I AM NOT SURE, SEARS USED TED'S NAME AS A SALES GIMIC. THE UGLY STICK RODS THAT I HAVE ARE PROBABLY 20-25 YRS. OLD, I HAVE GOTTEN THEM MAINLY FROM MY YOUNGEST SON.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

i have been having pretty good luck using the shimano terramar for trout and over slot reds too.they have a lifetime warranty also with the over counter replacement.kevins sells them .the shimano clarus also are decent for the money with the same warranty and i believe south georgia outdoors and kevins carry both these shimano rods.
culrich
Site Sponsor

Post by culrich »

http://www.stcroixrods.com/product/tidemaster-inshore

Have fished plenty of rods and these have been my favorite, by far. :thumbup:
NO FLUKE!!!

LANARK MARKET!!!!
bman

Post by bman »

mpa_72001 wrote:i have been having pretty good luck using the shimano terramar for trout and over slot reds too.they have a lifetime warranty also with the over counter replacement.kevins sells them .the shimano clarus also are decent for the money with the same warranty and i believe south georgia outdoors and kevins carry both these shimano rods.
:stupid_1

I'll let you borrow one... When you know you can take it back to Kevin's for a replacement its a slam dunk.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

For offshore, I've been very happy w shimanos trevela jigging rods (spinners).$120-$160 and lifetime guarantee. They are really small and light, but have enough backbone to handle a big grouper or cobia. And you don't have to worry about wear and tear. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Salty Gator wrote:For offshore, I've been very happy w shimanos trevela jigging rods (spinners).$120-$160 and lifetime guarantee. They are really small and light, but have enough backbone to handle a big grouper or cobia. And you don't have to worry about wear and tear. Good luck
I agree. Great rods! I also like the Shimano Clarus for inshore.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Got two teramars... honestly probably my favorite of the bunch I have.

Guess it might have helped to provide a bit of judgement on the others... when first bought, I LOVED a few Berkley "Lightning Rods" for light inshore battle against reds, but the finish seemed to peel quickly, and then shortly thereafter so did the threads holding the light guides.

Also used shakespeare's ugly stik intercoastal rods... the ones I've used were a little stiff for my liking and did not age too well, though I have a different one of the ugly stik series I use offshore that is aging much better (at work, can't id).

Think I got a penn boat special with a combo some time back and it did not hold it's finish well at all... heavy peeling on it in relatively short order.

Got a few Plueger presidentials spinning combos a few years back... rods haven't peeled but the guides seemed weak / have broken. To be as cheap as they are, I like the reels ok, though the finish on the handles peeled almost instantly.

Appreciating you often DO get what you pay for and that I started out my journey spending lightly, again looking to move up a notch or two in quality now even if I have to pay a bit more for it.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

File me in the Shimano camp as well.

Trevala off-shore jigging rod (not spinning, traditional). I've not got as many miles on it as others may, but I did haul up about a 5 foot stingray in the presence of BMAN and TODEN and that rod had all the backbone I could have asked for - and CRAZY light. Love this rod.

Also, though I am not currently in "need" of a new inshore rod, I would buy another Clarus without a second thought. My 7'6" Clarus puts the whoop on big reds and still has the finesse for top-water. Love it. I've already taken advantage of the warranty @ Kevin's and it was great.
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I agree on the Clarus. I went in to Kevins. told them my price point and he handed me the Clarus. Me likey. I also love dealing with someone locally. I just bought a dirt cheap on sale rod, but it is a guest rod or a loaner, so I just wanted cheap as it will rarely be used. Everyone I normally fish with has their own rod and reels.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Better look at one of those gloomis greenwater on sale at Kevin's before he runs out.

Fishin' is the mission.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

culrich wrote:http://www.stcroixrods.com/product/tidemaster-inshore

Have fished plenty of rods and these have been my favorite, by far. :thumbup:
X6 for us!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
bayrunner22

Post by bayrunner22 »

Look at cabelas their whuppin sticks are on sale for under 20 bucks they are supposed to be tougher than ugly sticks I just ordered a 7 ft medium to try but the reviews are all five star
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

I guess the ultimate in durability is the Recoil guides. Kinda noisy with braid though.

I believe St Croix puts recoil guides on their legend extreme series.

Fishin' is the mission.
Last edited by Harmsway on May 6th, 2013, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.