Shimano Spinning Reels - Suggestions ?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Badbagger

Shimano Spinning Reels - Suggestions ?

Post by Badbagger »

Thinking about replacing a couple of aged Penn Battle Spinning Reels on some rods. Rod's are 7" medium action. Which Shimano reels would you suggest I look into ? Generally use Mono line and never been a fan of braid on spinning reels due to issues with it on my old bait casters lol :lol:
CairoTrout
Site Sponsor

Re: Shimano Spinning Reels - Suggestions ?

Post by CairoTrout »

Sedona is a great price point reel
All things are possible when you turn your life to Jesus.If you don't know how just ask.
Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Dockwilson »

Depends on how much you want to spend. I have 3 Symitre 4000 for everyone else on the boat. Good, solid reels. Not too expensive. I use a Saros 3000. A bit more $, but not too much. No Shimano I have ever had has let me down. My 2 cents
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I can't imagine life before I started using Stradics. The 3000 is my favorite size.
Team Jolly Mon
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

I'm with FRP. Stradic if you can afford it. FJ or CI4.

Fishin' is the mission.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

I would give braid another shot on you spinning reels. It doesn't work well on bait casters because it digs into itself if you drag is too tight when you set the hook. This will then result in a snapped line when you cast. Spinning reels are a different animal. I'd give it another shot. :thumbup:
Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Dockwilson »

captkeyser wrote:I would give braid another shot on you spinning reels. It doesn't work well on bait casters because it digs into itself if you drag is too tight when you set the hook. This will then result in a snapped line when you cast. Spinning reels are a different animal. I'd give it another shot. :thumbup:
I agree. I love braid on my spinning reel. :thumbup:
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

I have some slightly used Shimano's is you'd like to give them a try. I have a couple of Spheros and one Sienna 4000. I think the Spheros are 2500's. I also have a couple of US Reel 240 SX's w/ Invisibraid on them for $45 each. Also got a couple of Flugers.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

i have Saro's... bass pro has them for 149 but you can get them 125 to your door on ebay and they are great reels IMO..i don't own anything other than Shimano. use backing on the spinning reels and as long as the line goes on tight the first time, it won't dig.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

I just bought a new Sahara to replace a frozen Daiwa. Probably would have spent more but with a two month old baby sacrifices have to be made. If price isn't much of an issue I would probably go Symetre or Saros, especially with braid.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Having been very intimate with many Shimano spinning reels, I would suggest the Symetre and if price is not a deterrent, the Stradic. With either, maintenance is the key to long term success and satisfaction. A good soaking rinse with fresh water, then about 10 minutes later another thorough soaking rinse. The first loosens and dilutes any salt, the second washes it away. A drop or two of oil on the line roller as well as in the maintenance port and you are done.
I recently purchased a Quantum Smoke PTs 20. (I am an authorized service center for them) The reason for my purchase is that I have not seen many Quantum reels in for repair and was curious as to whether it was due to lack of ownership in this area or quality issues. If the Smoke 20 is any representation of Quantum's quality, then that is the reason I have not seen many in for repair. Being one of those that needs to see why it works, I took my new reel apart. There was grease where it was supposed to be. Oil where it belonged. The gears, bearings and fish fighting parts seem to be well made, precision parts of high quality materials. I am especially impressed by the use of carbon fiber drag washers. I have been a long time proponent of carbon washers. They do not stick, chatter or change their slip control after they heat up while fighting a big fish. They are just as smooth and consistent at the end of the fight as they were in the beginning.
All in all I am quite pleased with the Smoke PTs series Quantum has to offer.
I am a big fan of braid on a spinning reel. My personal favorite is the Sufix 832. It is smoother, quieter and has the best abrasion resistance of all the braids I have used. As a plus, it sheds water and is much drier when it is put back on the spool, which means less salt build up and a drier line roller bearing on my reel.
Last edited by fishinfool on June 3rd, 2013, 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ontiltttttt

Post by ontiltttttt »

Why not just get another Penn Battle? I only use Penn products so I might be a little biased but the Penn Slammer Series spinning outfits are far and away my favorite outfits with the Battles as a near second or third. However, if you are firm on your Shimano migration, I have test driven the Stradic 3000's and they're great reels which will hold up to many of the inshore species. Good luck! :beer:
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Thanks for all of your input. I checked with a few guides on another site and order the following: Spheros 5000 and 2 Spheros 4000's. If they hold up like I think they will, come end of season I'll order a few more after evaluating them.
RustyG

Post by RustyG »

Can't go wrong with the CI4 3000. I heard they were going to be discontinued though? So you might find one at a good price.
Action Craft Gator

Post by Action Craft Gator »

In terms of size I like the 3000 as a great combo reel for redfish and trout duty. I have Stradics and Saros; actually prefer the Saros. It's smooth as silk and tough as nails. I don't think you could go wrong either way, but the Saros absolutely can't be beat for the money in my opinion.