Ceiling fan help?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Ceiling fan help?

Post by WolfeMan »

The fan in my daughters room operates on a remote control with no available pull chains. When I flip the wall switch on, the light comes on and the fan turns on. I can then use the remote to change the fan speed, and in theory, turn the light on and off independently from the fan. Therein lies the rub. The remote buttons for the light appear to do nothing. I checked the remote and receiver dip switches, all are matching. The remote does work for the fan, just not the light. Also: when I took it apart this evening I found a loose ground wire that looked like it had a broken tab/plug on one end. There appears to be no ground wire coming from the neck of the fan, so I'm thinking whoever crammed the remote receiver up into the ceiling ripped the ground wire out. Would a missing ground wire explain the light issue?

As if that wasn't enough, I have ANOTHER ceiling fan quandary. The fan in our living room is a different model but the same concept. No pull chains, remote only. The remote works for the light and fan but the fan will only run on "low" speed. No matter if I press low, medium, or high, the fan just runs on low.

I didn't install these particular fans, they came with the house, however you may find it interesting to know that of the 4 remote controlled ceiling fans in the house, they All had the same dip switch pattern when we moved in. Laziness is alive!

Re: Ceiling fan help?

Post by Jumptrout51 »

The ground wire is not an issue.
Otherwise,you are screwed.
Buy new PULL CHAIN fans.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

What's the issue, ya figure? Would a new remote receiver fix it?

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Ceiling ... n+receiver

For $17.50 it might be worth trying.

Post by Jumptrout51 »

It is your money.
Go for it.
If it were my money,I would replace the fan.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

Jumptrout51 wrote:It is your money.
Go for it.
If it were my money,I would replace the fan.
x2. Remote fans are a gimic.

my brother had them in his house a while back and they were nothing but trouble.

90% of the time, the light and/or fan is either on or off. I practically never change the speed on our fans. If you do replace the fans, and if your house isn't already wired for it, get an electrician to run a second wire so you can control to fan/light independently and put a two switch stack in place of your single on/off switch. KISS.
850-273-8818
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

Yeah, I can see maybe in the master bedroom, but why anybody would build a new house, with kid's rooms with remotes is beyond me.

All of the rooms in question have double switches - one of the two seems to do nothing.
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

WolfeMan wrote:All of the rooms in question have double switches - one of the two seems to do nothing.
I'd try to rewire all of the fans to use the switches and abandon the remotes...the convenience of having a remote in the master bedroom is outweighed by the frustration and fumbling looking for the remote when it isn't where it ought to be, so you just get up and hit switch all angrily instead.
850-273-8818
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

You said "the second switch doesn't seem to do anything"??? Check to see if that second switch doesn't switch any of the bedroom's wall receptacles, or possibly only half of one or more wall receptacles ---- if not, chances are pretty good that that unknown switched wire is buried up in the fan ceiling box "unused"??? This will solve your problem, one switch for the light and the other for the fan, and just wire the fan without any remote control -- re: speed control from the pull chain only. Most people don't change the speed that offen..

PS: Most important problem you now have is ungrounded fans, that is a life threatening problem. Connect the frame of the fan to the box's ground wire in every case.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

charlie tuna wrote: PS: Most important problem you now have is ungrounded fans, that is a life threatening problem. Connect the frame of the fan to the box's ground wire in every case.
Um, OK
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Reel Cowboy wrote:
charlie tuna wrote: PS: Most important problem you now have is ungrounded fans, that is a life threatening problem. Connect the frame of the fan to the box's ground wire in every case.
Um, OK
I think he means if you are swinging from the fan and slip,you will be grounded. 8)
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

Jumptrout51 wrote:
Reel Cowboy wrote:
Um, OK
I think he means if you are swinging from the fan and slip,you will be grounded. 8)
What i said was "Most important problem you now have is ungrounded fans, that is a life threatening problem. Connect the frame of the fan to the box's ground wire in every case.

I am not an appliance repairman, but a Florida State Certified Unlimited Electrical Contractor for 35 years, and what i am concerned with is your daughter, or someone else, reaching up to either, turn the light "on", or change the fan speed and being electricuted. Grounding is usually ignored by people who know little of why it exists, but it is a very important to carry fault current to protect lives. To some people it may be a joke, people educated in their field, it is important. I AM concerned with your family's safety!!
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

Call Shady Grady
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

If your ceiling fans are your sole problem in your life, consider yourself lucky to have a ceiling to mount them on. :wink:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

I SERIOUSLY doubt the ground wire in the fan junction box was left loose.
That means there are other grounds through the fan.drop rod and motor/light through the primary ground to the circuit panel.
In any event a loose or absent ground will NOT cause your problem.
A bad circuit board or remote will.
I am NOT a State Certified Electrical Contractor.
I am the person these people call when something doesn't work.

P.S. With going on 50 years of practical experience.
and certifications in other professions as well.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

From the original post by WolfeMan:
"Also: when I took it apart this evening I found a loose ground wire that looked like it had a broken tab/plug on one end. There appears to be no ground wire coming from the neck of the fan, so I'm thinking whoever crammed the remote receiver up into the ceiling ripped the ground wire out. Would a missing ground wire explain the light issue?"

This comment is a serious problem and safety issue, and not a joke. I did not, in anyway say that this was part of the fans operational problem, but i did say ""Most important problem you now have is ungrounded fans, that is a life threatening problem. Connect the frame of the fan to the box's ground wire in every case."

Jumptrout said "I think he means if you are swinging from the fan and slip,you will be grounded."

Jumptrout, you might think this is a joke, but if you knew your trade, you wouldn't joke about grounding. And appliance repairmen should really understand proper grounding and certainly not make a joke about it. Too many innocent people get killed every year by ungrounded appliances