Squirrels in the attic

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Squirrels in the attic

Post by fishinfool »

It seems that some squirrels have set up housekeeping in my attic. I have set a live trap where it is accessible to me, but they seem to be avoiding it and are moving in areas that I am not able to get to.
Other than recipes for squirrel stew, does anyone have any firsthand knowledge of how to get rid of these destructive rodents and keep them away?
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Re: Squirrels in the attic

Post by Dubble Trubble »

fishinfool wrote:It seems that some squirrels have set up housekeeping in my attic. I have set a live trap where it is accessible to me, but they seem to be avoiding it and are moving in areas that I am not able to get to.
Other than recipes for squirrel stew, does anyone have any firsthand knowledge of how to get rid of these destructive rodents and keep them away?

CHOOTEM !!! :smt067

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Dub, if I could see the little buggers, I would definitely do that.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

This has always been my solution...
cat.jpg
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
RED ZONE 48

Post by RED ZONE 48 »

22 cal rat shot works, also Rat Bait in the trays will work, after they are gone you need to find out how they got in and FIX the HOLE 1/2 inch Hardware clothe "WIRE MESH" will keep them out also if you don't fix the Hole you will some day have COON'S and other unwanted Guests. I had Flying Squirrels and these method's worked for me.
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

I think Silverking has a neighbor that is good at getting rid of squirrels, call him. :-D
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

WE HAD 27 FLYING SQUIRRELS INVADE OUR LAKE HOUSE ONE WINTER AND WHEN SCHOOL WAS OUT WE HEADED TO THE LAKE FOR OUR SUMMER FUN IN THE SUN. THERE ARE MANY SAND OAK TREES INOUR AREA WHICH HAVE ACORNS ABOUT 3/4TH INLONG, THESE TREES ARE SOMETIMES CALLED SCRUB OAK TREES. THE FIRST NIGHT WE WERE THERE IT SOUNDED LIKE A BOWLING ALLEY UP THERE. I CRAWLED UP AND LOOKED WITH A FLASHLIGHT, THOSE LITTLE BUGGERS WERE RUNNING ALL OVER THE ATTAC. I DROVE OVER TO PALATKA AND BOUGHT A BOX OF .22 RAT SHOT, WHEN I GOT BACK TO THE LAKE HOUSE THERE WAS PANDAMONIUM UP IN THE ATTAC. I EASED UP WITH MY TRUSTY LITTLE .22 AND USED THE WHOLE BOX OF SHELLS AND MADE A KILL WITH EACH SHOT, I PULLED 27 OF THOSE LITTLE BUGGERS OUT AND BURIED THEM OUT IN THE LAKE, THE GATORS HAD A BALL. AFTER ABOUT 3 DAYS THE SMELL GOT SO BAD FROM THE SQUIRRELS THAT WENT DOWN IN THE WALLS WE HAD TO LOAD UP AND HEAD BACK TO THE HOME TWENTY. I PATCHED THE HOLE THEY HAD CHEWED BESIDE WHERE THE ELE. SERVICE WENT THROUGH THE WALL. I COVERED THE HOLE AND OUT ABOUT 7 INCHES WITH 3/8TH RABBIT WIRE AND WERE NEVER BOTHERED AGAIN WITH THEM.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Pangler
Site Sponsor

Post by Pangler »

Lowes carries 'CritterRidder' it's a pepper based granule or liquid form that has worked for me in the past. It won't kill the critters but they can't handle the pepper.
Mister Mullet

Post by Mister Mullet »

I've used an ultrasonic blaster that I bought at Lowe's. Chased all but one out. I sealed up the hole, the lone holdout died and smelled. Got his carcass out and no problems since.
rammerjammer
Site Sponsor

Post by rammerjammer »

Try a box of moth balls, spread out in areas you can access.??
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I have been blasting an air horn in the attic, once in the morning and once in the evening. They do not seem to like the noise and I think they have left. I still have not found where they are getting in. Gone is good and I hope they stay away.