July 10 Lanark Scallops East End Mackerel

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Shoot4Fish

July 10 Lanark Scallops East End Mackerel

Post by Shoot4Fish »

Headed out with the kids out of Lanark for the first time ever scalloping there and was super impressed. The market there was great and helpful, and launching and navigating was easier than I expected. What really surprised me though was how clear it was given the rain we've had. I had seen the reports saying it was fine but was a little skeptical until I got out there. My swimming pool is clearer but we certainly had great visibility in 4-6foot of water. We went east out of the ramp and stopped about 1/8 mile short of the "condos" and there were plenty of scallops. They're down in the grass pretty good but there are certainly plenty there. I was tending to the kids more than anything but my cousin from Colorado who's only scalloped once ever, was able to get a full bag in about 45 minutes - hour.

Dropped the kids off because of some weather that was close (extra safe with them) but since the wife and kids drove separate my cousin and I headed back out. The weather ended up being a bit too close for us even and was coming from the ramp so we headed across to the east end of Dog and hit the shore line for a few in case the lightning got closer. It cleared a bit there, but was still bad on shore, so we moved a little bit to the front of the island and the spanish and ladyfish were thick on glass minnows. A few casts and a few trolls and we had a few fun runs and a couple in the boat. The old man likes to grill em so a bonus for him. The water on the end of the island was red with all of the rain. It seems that just outside of the reef is were all of the tanin dark water is being pulled which is I guess what's keeping the grass flats clear.

By then it had cleared and headed back to try for a few more scallops. It was overcast now and the tide had come up some so it was tough in 5-6 foot. Moved to 4-5 were we could see them down in there. It was certainly tougher without direct sun but still clear enough to be doable. Half a bag in about 30-45.

In all a great trip that we'll be repeating!
jslorenz3

Re: July 10 Lanark Scallops East End Mackerel

Post by jslorenz3 »

Certainly a great report. Thanks for posting. Want to go out this weekend, but the weather isn't looking too good. I haven't gone to Lanark ever before, but I'll make it before the end of the summer.
Scalp 'em Noles!
FSU Class of 2016
Civil Engineering Major
culrich
Site Sponsor

Re: July 10 Lanark Scallops East End Mackerel

Post by culrich »

It was nice meeting you, CB! Glad yall had a productive day. :thumbup:
NO FLUKE!!!

LANARK MARKET!!!!