Portable Livewells

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Badbagger

Portable Livewells

Post by Badbagger »

So tell me about portable livewells. Boat doesn't have a livewell & going to try my hand with catching some live bait. I've looked at some online and the oxygenation system is obviously the most important piece of the puzzle. I'd imagine picking up a 20 gallon plastic drum and fittings would be fairly easy and buying a good oxygenator. Far less costly that $200 plus for a tank alone etc.

Thanks
Bream Reaper

Re: Portable Livewells

Post by Bream Reaper »

I recommend a bubble system in an insulated container. A pump will create heat and heat is the enemy.
mbweimar

Post by mbweimar »

How bout a cooler conversion? Worst Marine (lol) has coolers on sale right now. 20% off.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I'm a little shocked with all of the work you put into that boat that you didn't put in a livewell. I think what you will need to do will be based on the bait you plan to keep alive. Shrimp and pinfish will do ok in an insulated bubbler, but don't waste your time putting pilchards, thread fins or LY's in there, they will die in minutes. Finger mullet will live for a while, but not like in a livewell. If you decide to try to make one, make sure it has good insulation. Also baits will live longer in a round or oval shaped well. Point the jet to one side so the water circulates in a circle. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

If you can rig it so you pump in fresh seawater instead of just an oxygen actor you will be better off. Bubblers/oxygenates provide oxygen but do not remove the waste from the fish which will kill them fairly fast if there are a decent number of baits. Also, raw seawater pump will keep the water cooler which keeps them alive longer.
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Thanks, that is the plan. I looked at Kodiak Livewells and while the "built in" livewells are nice, my research showed folks are not overly impressed with them. The round livewells appear to be the way to go. I looked at the Keep Alive system and it's nice but pricey. I posted over on THT and a reply lead me to a transom mount rule pump that an be easily removed when it's not in operation. Pumping in fresh seawater is surely the way to go.

http://www.pbsboatstore.com/Rule-24TB.h ... 7AodhCwAFw
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

How big of a livewell are you wanting to do?
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

I'm guessing 20 gallons.