Big Bend Florida blue crab trap closure starts July 20

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

wevans
Site Sponsor

Big Bend Florida blue crab trap closure starts July 20

Post by wevans »

Recreational and commercial blue crab traps in state waters from the Pasco-Hernando county line to the Wakulla-Franklin county line, including all waters of the Ochlockonee River and Bay, must be removed from the water before July 20, the first day of a 10-day trap closure. This closure will give groups authorized by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) the opportunity to identify and retrieve lost and abandoned blue crab traps from the water.
Traps can be placed back in the water in this area starting July 30. Until then, blue crabs may be harvested with other gear, such as dip nets and fold-up traps. Blue crab harvesters may also use standard blue crab traps during the closure if the traps are attached to a dock or other private property.
http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/trap-debris/
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
bman

Re: Big Bend Florida blue crab trap closure starts July 20

Post by bman »

That's a goof thing. Those ghost traps are all over!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
ced0412

Post by ced0412 »

They need to clean up that flat west of the channel out from the St Marks lighthouse. There is a ridiculous amount of abandoned traps.
Last edited by ced0412 on July 16th, 2013, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

I've seen a few of them out of Econfina, too. If you know where they are, sometimes they are good fishing spots. But they are bad for navigation so I hope they clean up most of them.
Yours in the South
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

It is a great opportunity to help rid our area waters of boating hazards. I've found a few w/o any float and picked them up and dropped them off into the hull of that old wrecked steamer in the mouth of the St. Marks river. (my attempt to start an artificial reef) :thumbup: :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

FYI
Tampering with traps, trap contents, lines or buoys that do not belong to you (even if the traps are derelict or in the water during a closed season), may result in a third degree felony conviction, fines of up to $5,000 and the permanent revocation of your fishing privileges.
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
grasscarp

Post by grasscarp »

I wonder if they will pick up pinfish traps during the closure
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

wevans wrote:FYI
Tampering with traps, trap contents, lines or buoys that do not belong to you (even if the traps are derelict or in the water during a closed season), may result in a third degree felony conviction, fines of up to $5,000 and the permanent revocation of your fishing privileges.
Let me clarify with a llittle more detail.... The trap (w/no float or rope) had had an engagement with my lower unit while coming off plane way east of grey mare in less than 3' of water. I was pizzed off. Ended up having to cut the trap into pieces just to get it unwrapped from my prop and lower unit. Would you classify that as "tampering with traps" ? BTW, who is going out to collect the derelect traps? The crabbers? FWC? Or will they just collect themselves? :smt017
slowroller
Site Sponsor

Post by slowroller »

From Weavens attached link. :thumbup: " The FWC currently has two programs dedicated to removing lost and abandoned traps from state waters. The Spiny Lobster, Stone Crab and Blue Crab Trap Retrieval Program contracts commercial fishermen to remove fishable traps from state waters during closed seasons, and the Derelict Trap and Trap Debris Removal Program provides a mechanism to authorize volunteer groups to collect derelict traps and trap debris during open or closed seasons."
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

...and the Derelict Trap and Trap Debris Removal Program provides a mechanism to authorize volunteer groups to collect derelict traps and trap debris during open or closed seasons."
I guess I'll claim to part of am authorized volunteer group that is tasked to round up of these traps. :thumbup:
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I wasn't accusing ya of tampering :smt009 just letting ya know that they could be Aholes and charge ya, if they saw ya doing it :beer: :-D
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

wevans wrote:I wasn't accusing ya of tampering :smt009 just letting ya know that they could be Aholes and charge ya, if they saw ya doing it :beer: :-D
Copy That wevans and Thanks :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
U and me are "Buds" :beer:
kgarner1

Post by kgarner1 »

Someone please explain to me how they are going to find the darned things? You can't even see to the bottom in 2' of water due to "stain"!
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

So the FWC is going to pay the same folks that left them out there or lost them in the first place to now go out there and pick them back up? That makes perfect sense. At least the old traps are getting removed somehow. I got one wrapped around my motor on my old Bass Tracker and it was a mess getting it off.