Keaton Beach 4-10-04 and 4-11-04

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Keaton Beach 4-10-04 and 4-11-04

Post by CSMarine »

Wife and I arrived at the ramp Sat. morning at 6:15am. Little excitment at the ramp when my wife launched my truck along with the boat. Only her second time to back it down. I'm sitting on the tailgate as she backs. I motion her to come on back so the boat will float off the trailer. She did. At 20 miles per hour. :o Water washed all the way into the bed of the truck. She got it stopped with the tailpipe two foot under water, thank goodness it didn't die out. I jumped out of the bed close to the passenger door in chest deep water, got into the cab and got it back on the hill. My boat was launched and headed down the canal, going fishing without us. Lucky someone already launched hauled me out to retrieve it.
Back to the fishing report. Water temp in the canal was a chilly 65 degrees, and dark as strong coffee. Headed north to a "honey hole" in 2 foot of water. I was wet so the ride got kinda chilly. Water was even darker there. Second cast, a 19 inch trout. Caught three more keepers pretty fast, all about 16 inches. Then they turned off. Threw everything in the box at em until about 12:00. We then decided to try deeper water. At great effort we managed to catch enough small pin fish for live bait rigs under thunders. The first line went out in 6 foot of water, and before I could get the second out, my wife was reeling in a nice spanish. From then until we had to go at 3:00pm. (had to meet friends back at the camper) it was Katty-bar-the-door. When we pulled out water temp was 78 degrees and rough. We ended up with a limit of barley legal trout and one spanish. The highlite was when my wife hung a Cobia that would have gone 25 pounds. She did great for a while till he decided to knaw thru to 40lb leader and leave. Wife already had him cooked in her mind, so she was pretty let down. Hard catching fish, but a great day on the water (and in it). :wink: Got back to the camper late and friends already had some fine thick steaks on the grill.

Sunday, second day. My partner and me left the girls at camp to gossip and headed out about 10:00am. Water temp in the canal was 62 degrees and it looked like rain at anytime. Wind was calm, and stayed slick all day. Headed back to the same place in 6 foot of water that we finished up in the day before. Started catching shorts right away on live pin fish. Kept getting cut off by Blues. They were everywhere busting bait fish on the surface. Pulled out at 2:00 with 7 barley keeper trout and 3 Bluefish. Lost a couple large trout. Our problem was, we could not catch pinfish small enough. Ended a fine weekend back at the camper with good friends and an outstanding fish dinner.

Ain't life grand when your a fishing fanatic like us. :thumbup:
Last edited by CSMarine on April 12th, 2004, 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fi
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Nice swimming and fishing report :lol: :thumbup: :thumbup:
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Sounds like a fine weekend to me :thumbup: Great save on the rig :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

A little amphibious land'n never bother's a marine does it :-D :thumbup: Way to adjust to the changing battle conditions CS. :-D :thumbup: :D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Yeah Sr, your right about the amphibious landing. The key word being LANDING, not LAUNCHING. :roll: Never made one of them.
Semper Fi
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

CS, You must have remained cool as a cucumber since your wife still went with you - you the man! I might not have remained that calm.
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
JimR
Site Sponsor

Post by JimR »

Nice report and way to keep your cool. That will make for a lot of laughs for years to come. :thumbup:
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Actually I had already planned on a little "EMI, extra military instruction" for her when she got down to the dock. Everyone at the ramp felt sorry for her so much that I decided to let it lay. I even surprised her with the pat on the back and my "don't worry bout it" attitude. Think that made her feel worse about it though. She worried all morning that I was wet. Got all kind of positive petting the rest of the day. :lol:
Semper Fi
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Nice report CS..
dbplug
Site Sponsor

Post by dbplug »

very nice.
for petes sake
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

CS, you must have launched right after me. I was the first to launch Saturday Morning. I , also went north to 2.5'.

Hate to hear ya got saltwater all in your truck. But it's good you kept your head and got it out.

Sounds like ya still made a great weekend out of it.
What was I supposed to do today?
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

TC, we were the third boat in Sat. morning. You must have put in before daylight, cause it was just getting light when we got to the ramp. We did have a good day, but no big trout caught. The keepers we got, were barley keepers. Tasted like big uns Sunday for dinner though. :lick:
Semper Fi
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

You just reminded me of why I'm terrified to let my wife back me down the ramp. Good job on keeping your cool though.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

CS, it was still dark when I launched. But by the time I idled to the channel it was barely light enough to see. I listened for you on the radio. I've never heard so much radio chatter in my life. Is it that busy every weekend?
What was I supposed to do today?
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Your right about the chatter TC. That's why, unless I think someone else I know is out there, I turn mine off. Too many folks who don't know how to use a VHF. I get tired of hearing questions to Keaton Marina, like what time is it, what's the limit on Pinfish, what time is the tide, and other senseless questions tying up Channel 16.
There was one boat close by when we got down to Yates. That must have been you. We fished from there, back to the "White house" most of the morning.
Semper Fi