Carrabelle Grouper and Big Cobia 7-21-13

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Jhults11

Carrabelle Grouper and Big Cobia 7-21-13

Post by Jhults11 »

As if I hadn't had enough fun Saturday evening myself and two fishing buddies decided to chase grouper Sunday morning out of Carrabelle. Knowing Dan likes to go at the @$$ crack of dawn he allowed me to stay at his place in Crawfordville. My other buddy Herb met us at dans in the morning about 5am. On the way to crums I checked my windfinder app and saw the C tower had been blowing 15+ all night and was currently reading 13 knots. I mentioned it to them and we all knew we were in for a "sporty" day fishing in that crap out of a 17 Cape Horn. Upon leaving the Carrabelle River it was already rocking by the time we hit the bait spot. About 40 minutes later we had a live well full of pins and piggies and were headed south. The plan was to hit 5 or 6 spots just on the other side of the federal line, load the boat with gags and be in by lunch...how hard could it be :roll: . We had the shat kicked out of us on the way out bouncing through through the 3s and 4s. Once we got to the spot we quickly hooked up on short gags and I finally put a 26" fish in the box. It was slow after that at all the spots and Dan was beginning to loose his patients. He grabbed the million $ black book and stated thumbing through the pages until he had a $4it eating glow on his face. I know that look and oh boy I thought as he scanned through his spots looking for a 12 foot ledge. He punched it in and I asked how far, Dan says not too far. I say mileage, Dan says 12.5 southeast....son of a #####! Herb and I looked at each other and knew it would not be fun. We took off in the 3 to 4 foot swells in that 17 foot Cape Horn and averaged about 13 mph all the way there. After taking our @$$ beating we were about 27 miles out sitting over a ledge lit up like a storm. First drops yielded the elusive 7 pound Red snappers. Then herb lands his first Cobia but was short at about 30". A few minutes later Dan landed a 15" Cobia, kind of strange. Next I drop down and get crushed and the fish is running like a train away from the boat. At the surface it thrashes and we immediately know its a big Cobia. To date I have not caught a 'big" cobia so I was super careful with this monsta. Back and forth we went like heavyweights. Once the fish was close to the boat I noticed a shadow under this big dog and started screaming at them to get another bait in the water...a 25 pound wingman decided to join the party. Dan quickly hooked up on the other fish but was quickly cut off. We were pissed but knew I had a biggin on and were ready to put her in the boat. Around the boat I went one more time to tire the fish and dammed if that 25 pound wingman didn't want some more. We fed him again and this time he stayed buttoned. After sinking a solid gaff shot into my 40 pounder, the 25 quickly joined her in the box for the chill party. We couldn't believe our good fortune but still wanted herb to land one. Drove back up to the # and let herb drop and ill be dammed in herb didn't have another solid Cobe on within 30 seconds. Around and around herb worked the fish and soon we had about 90 pounds of Cobia in the fish box within a total of about 30 minutes. Ridonkulous if you ask me. After that we decided to beat our way back to Carrabelle in hopes of beating the storms. About 2 hours later we docked in the river by 3pm. What a day! Thanks again Dan for taking herb and I on a trip we will be talking about for years to come! -Tight Lines :beer:
Me and my personal best Cobia
Herb and his first Cobia
Dan with his fish...
Getting our work out in...
The big ones...
Dinner Time!
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
ontiltttttt

Re: Carrabelle Grouper and Big Cobia 7-21-13

Post by ontiltttttt »

I think this is pretty much a given, but I wish I had your lifestyle :beer: :beer:
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Wow, that was a great day!
The Back Porch
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Sounds like you were thrown in the "BRIER PATCH" and came out smelling like a rose!

Good story and good fishing!

Thanks.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
roadtrip
Site Sponsor

Post by roadtrip »

great catch! Ya'll deserve it after that azz whipping of a boat ride. :o
Ranaman

Post by Ranaman »

GReat Job guys and Capt Dan Way to go the extra distance for your crew!! These guys all whine and cry about the beating they take, & quickly hush up when the fish are biting LOL :) :-D They don't relize the captains are taking the same beating if not more! Jordon this isn't your first rodeo hehehe great job on the super cobe!!
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Awesome report! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer: :beer: :beer: Be careful chasing after those cobes... they'll ruin you on most everything else! :smt045 :-D Nothing like catching just a few fish and putting 50 to 100 pounds of awesome meat on the ice! :lick:

Was out on the 21st too, but with far, far, FAR different luck out of the Aucilla area. Evidently even the bait and cobia on a ways out aren't big fans of the freshwater river dumps... we couldn't find feeding fish (outside a few pins) to save our lives. Glad you got on 'em. :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

Now that there's a fishin' trip!
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Good Report. Good read :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

Ranaman wrote:GReat Job guys and Capt Dan Way to go the extra distance for your crew!! These guys all whine and cry about the beating they take, & quickly hush up when the fish are biting LOL :) :-D They don't relize the captains are taking the same beating if not more! Jordon this isn't your first rodeo hehehe great job on the super cobe!!
Def not my first rodeo, but was my first rodeo fishing out of a 17 foot boat in 4 foot swells/slop! :cry:
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!
"Plan for the worst."
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Great report and photos. Yep Dan's the man with it comes to fishing the Big Bend. Congrats to all the crew.
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

That's a mess of fish! Hard earned too.
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

Great report Jordan

How's that cobe when you smoke it? 8)