HELP!! Vacation Guidance Needed

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

HELP!! Vacation Guidance Needed

Post by Scoop Sea »

My family and I are striking out Friday afternoon or Saturday morning for 8 days of vacation, yet we have not nailed down the destination yet.

Here's the problem: We were headed to D.C. but that got changed at the last minute, plus we live in Wakulla County, which I consider to be pretty much God's Country given all of our outdoor opportunities, Seminole football next door, etc. I'm not overly hyped about heading to any particular area (within driving distance) as they seldom bring the satisfaction that hitting one of our Rivers or going offshore provides. That being said, if any of you have any good vacation ideas you would like to throw out there, please feel free to do so. The particulars: Driving, family of 4 with 2 girls: one 12 yr old, one 13 yr old. Wife that's good to go with just about anything (yes, I'm blessed that way). We've hit St. Augustine before, done Mouseville area, and stayed at SGI plenty. The kids mentioned Pigeon Forge, Colonial Williamsburg, and Savannah. So, it's possibly a run up the East Coast or a run up to the Tennessee area. The kids just got back from Boone, NC, Rock City, Chattanooga, etc while travelling with the grandparents, so I don't know if it's worth heading back that way. I would

Any seasoned travelers out there that have some ideas, please feel free to throw em my way. In advance, thanks.
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Re: HELP!! Vacation Guidance Needed

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Have had some great times around dahlonega, ga. Trout, hiking in the mountains, rafting, wolf mountain winery. Still nature but different than fl and reasonably priced
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Bman is up that way and he is having a blast. North GA is cool.
Team Jolly Mon
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I went to Helen the other week and enjoyed the german food. If you are game and have someone to help you with the bags, do a multi-stop trip. Go to Atlanta and see the World of Coke and the Aquarium, eat at Mary Mac's Tea Room (real southern food!) http://local.yahoo.com/info-13698406-ma ... om-atlanta Then hop back in the car and take a short drive to Helen. Let the kids float down the river and you enjoy the german food. I recommend Bodensee for good food and Hofer's for good bakery. That is good for a day. Pack up and go over the hill to Cherokee N.C. and see the indian stuff for a day then onto Ashville to see the Biltmore House and enjoy a nice cool climate. Bust out of Ashville on I26 and go to Charleston, SC. Visit Mt. Pleasant and patriots point if an old air craft carrier interests anyone. Also in Mt. Pleasant is Shem's Creek, a great little area for seafood. http://shemcreeksc.com/. You could come back on I-95 and hit Hilton Head or Savannah (I prefer Savannah) and don't forget, Jacksonville has a zoo. I10 brings you home. :smt006
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Mary Mac's is the bomb!
Team Jolly Mon
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Any thoughts given to heading down to the Keys?
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Rhettley wrote:Any thoughts given to heading down to the Keys?
Yeah, lots of thoughts, but can't swing it right now due to Lobster Season starting and the rates being outrageous. Took the girls there year before last for Spring Break and had a good time.
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

I didn't think about lobster season. The jacked up prices and crowds wouldn't be good.
Gumbo

Post by Gumbo »

Charleston is really nice this time of year. The kids would enjoy Folley Beach. Lots of day-trip opportunities.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

We had a wonderful time in Savannah some years back. We caught AMTRAK to Jacksonville then another train to Savannah. That in itself was an experience! Rented a car in Savannah and went out to Tyby Island and made a tour of the Low Country, a dinner trip on the paddle boat in the river and took in the parks/restaurant/tourist homes in Savannah. An interesting historical place!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

I would say, "Go to Cajun country, Scoop Sea", but then you prolly already spent more time there than the average nutra rat. :???:
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Sun Daze

Post by Sun Daze »

I've always wanted to hit the Outer Banks area of North Carolina, just never managed to schedule it. Always something else going on.
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Harmsway wrote:I would say, "Go to Cajun country, Scoop Sea", but then you prolly already spent more time there than the average nutra rat. :???:

Yes sir, I did a lil time that way. Seems like an eternity ago.
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

If ya don't want to go far....
Homosassa
Beautiful river.
I won't say it can't get crowded, but there is fun, restaurants, history, swim at the head of the river, monkey island, live music, manatees, fishes like our area.
Very rocky.
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Alright, here's the plan (as of tonight). Strike out for Charleston Saturday, stay two nights and check out the area. Head to Williamsburng, Va. for a couple days and check out Williamsburng, Jamestwon, and Yorktown. Head back down South with a stop in Fayetteville, NC, then head down to Savannah for a couple of nights.

If any of yall know of any "must sees/do's" along this route, I would appreciate your input.

Thanks for the suggestions/guidance thus far, I truly do appreciate it.

Chris