Local Family gets face to face with a shark ;-)

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bman

Local Family gets face to face with a shark ;-)

Post by bman »

We need to pull this out next scallop season:
http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/Local ... 83241.html
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Ifishtoo

Re: Local Family gets face to face with a shark ;-)

Post by Ifishtoo »

bman wrote:We need to pull this out next scallop season:
http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/Local ... 83241.html
If you have fished the flats of the Big Bend for 10-20 yrs, then you have seen them. They live there, too. When the tide is falling around a full moon, it leaves those 3-4 flats quickly. Those 7-8' fellas are often unable to get out, without clearly being seen.I will say, I've never had a fish snatched, but I bet there are other folks that can tell you differently.

This scallop phenomenon is way over due for some nasty encounters. Port St Joe Bay is no different.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Sharks are just as common on the flats at St. Marks. The ones that I have seen would have nothing to do with me when I took the family scalloping on the flats. Usually by the time I notice them, all I see is the fork in their tail(s) headed off in another direction. Of course my wife is on "shark watch" on the deck, while me and the kids swim in a "wad". Seen one BIG one down at Lanark while I was fishing just off the channel. He must have been an 11 footer. Scared me even though I wasn't even in the water. :o
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

THE FLATS ARE LOADED WITH SHARKS, THOUSANDS OF THEM. I GENERALLY DISPOSE OF ANY I HAVE CONTAC WITH, NEVER BRING THEM INTO THE BOAT.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Over the years, I've collected enough shark stories to make one have second thoughts about getting into the waters around Aucilla, St. Marks, Keaton, and other places I've lived since I was a kid. Some very recent!

salute2
Semper Fi
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

When you get out of the boat, you loose your place on the food chain.
hmaadd29

Post by hmaadd29 »

I've seen some big ones around lanark reef big ones they should have known better last week was shark week :-D
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

fishinfool wrote:When you get out of the boat, you loose your place on the food chain.
Cannot agree more. Hooked up w/ 7' bull shark not even a week ago. Fun fight!
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Just goes to show that most sharks are not cruising to eat humans. I've been way closer than I was comfortable with both big hammers and big tigers back in my diving days. Never had a problem, but I was always watchful when I was spearfishing.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

CSMarine wrote:Over the years, I've collected enough shark stories to make one have second thoughts about getting into the waters around Aucilla, St. Marks, Keaton, and other places I've lived since I was a kid. Some very recent!

salute2
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Yep, I just don't enjoy wade fishing as much as I did when I was kid, or even as a young man. It's "being" right in there with them. And then there are the fish that you may be keeping. Another seasoned gentlemen advised me "In Port St Joe Bay, keep that floating bag of fish 8-10 ft way from you". It's not movie crap, it's real. Are they stalking us, guess not? Do they bite when pissed? You bet your ass they do. Do they occasionally grab something to taste it? Yep, they sure do. It's a fact, they are NOT there because they are just hanging out, THEY ARE looking for something to eat

Good luck and stay safe scallopers.