Trailer Ball Mount Stolen

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Trailer Ball Mount Stolen

Post by Harmsway »

So I went to the new BPS on Saturday, and was rewarded by somebody stealing my trailer hitch ball mount. :cry:

I've learned my lesson. Paint your high-dollar shiny aluminum ball mount rusty-brown. :roll:
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Re: Trailer Ball Mount Stolen

Post by Juan »

You need to get you one of those locking pin thingies Will.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Just a little info to pass on to everyone, by being around the trailer business I am hearing about all the trailers and lawn equipment being stolen around here almost on a weekly bases. Over the last few weeks I have had customers buying replacement trailers that have been stolen out of their yards in the middle of the day. They are also loading up other items such as their John Deere gators, atv's , $ 10,000 Scag mowers and anything else they can get their hands on. Be safe, lock everything, photograph all items and mark as much as you can. The people I have spoken with say the law can only do so much to investigate and besides when this stuff gets stolen it is very likely to be gone from this area for good.
reeds767

Post by reeds767 »

that sucks man, but painting your ball mount is a really good idea. it reminds me of what I did in the 80's. pwhen everyone was getting their car stereos stolen, I spray painted the front of my car stereo pea soup green. my crappy car was stolen like 5 times, stero was never stolen. those were good days. anyways, getting a locking pin and clip should solve your problem in the future, they are like 20 bucks.
Charlie P
Site Sponsor

Post by Charlie P »

I agree!

I have locks on both my trailer hitch and boat/trailer tongues at all times, even when sitting in shed.

I know both could be compromised by theives but at least it will slow them down. Lord help the fools if I catch em in the act. :smt011
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I lock mine on, even though they are rusty anyway.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

:thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Mister Mullet

Post by Mister Mullet »

Keep a card in your wallet with serial numbers for all your equipment so you can give them to the cop when he writes up a report. Engrave your name on the hitch where it can't be easily ground off, and fill in the letters with white paint so the dirt bag knows he can't just pull it and go to a pawn shop. Do not put personal identification numbers like your SS number, Driver's License number, or address. You might consider engraving or stamping a secret code that you keep on the serial number card.
cotton

Post by cotton »

Doesn't BPS have cameras in their parking lot?
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Two for one:
1)pull the pin holding the receiver on your vehicle and place it and the expensive ball in your locked vehicle.
2) by removing the receiver and ball, you will keep it from becoming a hazard for folks walking behind the truck as well as nearby cars.

No more issue with having it stolen or creating a problem for everyone else walking or driving nearby. BPS and/or Kevins are favorite Tallahassee places to see dozens of receivers and nice ball mounts sticking out, begging to be stolen or to break some legs.

I have never kept the receiver on my mount between uses, and therefore never had it or a ball stolen. When in use, I have a lock for it. It ain't rocket science.

EJ
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

I guess I am just lucky. I have been boating, atv'ing, and just pulling all kinds of trailers all my life and have never had a insert heisted! I will occasionally remove an insert but most of the time have one in two or three vehicles. I'm sure it will happen tomorrow since I bragged about being lucky.
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Pirate wrote:I guess I am just lucky. I have been boating, atv'ing, and just pulling all kinds of trailers all my life and have never had a insert heisted! I will occasionally remove an insert but most of the time have one in two or three vehicles. I'm sure it will happen tomorrow since I bragged about being lucky.
I keep a lock on mine. If anything ever happens to the boat lock I have a spare that way and the receiver doesn't get stolen. I'm used to walking around it and if somebody rear ends me at lower speeds I won't have a messed up bumper and tailgate. :-D
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Rhettley wrote:
Pirate wrote:I guess I am just lucky. I have been boating, atv'ing, and just pulling all kinds of trailers all my life and have never had a insert heisted! I will occasionally remove an insert but most of the time have one in two or three vehicles. I'm sure it will happen tomorrow since I bragged about being lucky.
I keep a lock on mine. If anything ever happens to the boat lock I have a spare that way and the receiver doesn't get stolen. I'm used to walking around it and if somebody rear ends me at lower speeds I won't have a messed up bumper and tailgate. :-D
X2. I have been hit in the rear twice with a trailer hitch on. My vehicle both times suffered little or no damage. The other vehicles both looked like they had hit a telephone pole. :thumbup:
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
bman

Post by bman »

Rhettley wrote: I keep a lock on mine. If anything ever happens to the boat lock I have a spare that way and the receiver doesn't get stolen. I'm used to walking around it and if somebody rear ends me at lower speeds I won't have a messed up bumper and tailgate. :-D
Exactly! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

bman wrote:
Rhettley wrote: I keep a lock on mine. If anything ever happens to the boat lock I have a spare that way and the receiver doesn't get stolen. I'm used to walking around it and if somebody rear ends me at lower speeds I won't have a messed up bumper and tailgate. :-D
Exactly! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I am proof of that. One day, while sitting at a red light, I felt a jolt. Seems the car salesman behind me was not paying attention. My rear bumper was not touched, and my ball had a tiny bit of white paint on it, but that brand new car had a nice hole in the front bumper. I told the guy we would not call the cops, as he was going to have a hard enough time explaining that hole to the dealership......since they had a buyer waiting on the car to pick it up.

Sometimes, it pays to have balls! :-D

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.