PEARL HARBOR

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FUTCHCAIRO

PEARL HARBOR

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

WELL I GUESS IT HAS FINALLY HAPPEN. I HAVE NOT HEARD OR SEEN ONE WORD ABOUT THE ANNIVERSARY OF THE ATTACK ON PEARL HARBOR. THIS IS A DISGRACE AND I FOR ONE AM DAMN WELL OFFENDED. I AM THE ONLY ONE LEFT OUT OF 725 MEN THAT WENT TO WAR TO DEFEND OUR COUNTRY TRYING TO GIVE A LITTLE PROTECTION TO THE REAL MARINES THAT HIT THE BEACHES. THE 725 MARINE AIR SUPPORT WING FOR THE 3 RD MARINE DIVISION ARE ALL DEAD EXCEPT ME. 72 YEARS IS A LONG TIME, THAT IS HOW LONG IT HAS BEEN SINCE OUR COUNTRY WAS ATTACKED BY THE JAPS. I HOPE SOME OF THE LOCAL T/V STATIONS WILL AT LEAST SAY SOMETHING ABOUT THIS.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: PEARL HARBOR

Post by Salty Gator »

I surely wasn't there Pa, but I think the attack on Pearl Harbor was on Dec 7. I'm sure there will be more chatter about it tomorrow. Thanks for your service
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Salty Gator wrote:I surely wasn't there Pa, but I think the attack on Pearl Harbor was on Dec 7. I'm sure there will be more chatter about it tomorrow. Thanks for your service
Think that's PA's point, Salty Gator... we'll only hear a little bit of "chatter" about it tomorrow, this on the heels of the Gettysburg address anniversary getting quite a bit of coverage this past month.

To the point of the recent post where folks reminisced about where they were when Kennedy was shot, I'm afraid that there just aren't enough folks alive anymore who remember the shock of that fateful day, and the world-wide implications it held, escalating the war into the single most deadly conflict EVER known. Unlike our wars today, every citizen was asked to make significant sacrifices to help ensure a far from certain victory, and few extended families went untouched without personal loss.

Sad on many levels. Also scary, as the old saying goes those who ignore history are bound to repeat it. Somewhere between 40,000,000 and 75,000,000 men, women, and children died all because of the motivations of a few tyrants. We all should pause to weigh that fact with deep reflection and reverence, versus accepting a bit of press chatter as acceptable.

PA, words can't adequately express the tremendous level of respect that I have for EVERY man who served in that time. May God hold a special place in heaven for each and every one. You TRULY were the greatest generation, bar none.
salute1
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

And no personal jab intended towards you Salty Gator. I think your post is the truth. Just wishing that it weren't. :(
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

No offense taken bbg. I thought pa was upset there was no mention of attack on its anniversary. Since tomorrow is the anniversary, more folks will jump in and post some thanks I'm sure.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Remember to lower your flags to half mast tomorrow... Even Obumma got this one right:

START: 12/7/2013

END: 12/7/2013

US Flags to Flags to Half Staff in Honor of National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, 2013

NATIONAL PEARL HARBOR REMEMBRANCE DAY, 2013

- - - - - - -

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

A PROCLAMATION

More than seven decades ago, on a calm Sunday morning, our Nation was attacked without warning or provocation. The bombs that fell on the island of Oahu took almost 2,400 American lives, damaged our Pacific Fleet, challenged our resilience, and tested our resolve. On National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, we honor the men and women who selflessly sacrificed for our country, and we show our enduring gratitude to all who fought to defend freedom against the forces of tyranny and oppression in the Second World War.

In remembrance of Pearl Harbor and to defend our Nation against future attacks, scores of young Americans enlisted in the United States military. In battle after battle, our troops fought with courage and honor. They took the Pacific theater island by island, and eventually swept through Europe, liberating nations as they progressed. Because of their extraordinary valor, America emerged from this test as we always do -- stronger than ever before.

We also celebrate those who served and sacrificed on the home front -- from families who grew Victory Gardens or donated to the war effort to women who joined the assembly line alongside workers of every background and realized their own power to build a brighter world. Together, our Greatest Generation overcame the Great Depression, and built the largest middle class and strongest economy in history.

Today, with solemn pride and reverence, let us remember those who fought and died at Pearl Harbor, acknowledge everyone who carried their legacy forward, and reaffirm our commitment to upholding the ideals for which they served.

The Congress, by Public Law 103-308, as amended, has designated December 7 of each year as "National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day."

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim December 7, 2013, as National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day. I encourage all Americans to observe this solemn day of remembrance and to honor our military, past and present, with appropriate ceremonies and activities. I urge all Federal agencies and interested organizations, groups, and individuals to fly the flag of the United States at half-staff this December 7 in honor of those American patriots who died as a result of their service at Pearl Harbor.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Pa….Thank you for your service!

Most all of my dear family and friends who fought in that war are now gone. They did what had to be done and did a good job of it.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I WONDER IF WE HAD A CHALLANGE TODAY WOULD WE OR COULD WE DEFIND OUR COUNTRY LIKE THOSE OF US DID BACK IN 1942-45, I OFTEN WONDER.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

FUTCHCAIRO wrote:I WONDER IF WE HAD A CHALLANGE TODAY WOULD WE OR COULD WE DEFIND OUR COUNTRY LIKE THOSE OF US DID BACK IN 1942-45, I OFTEN WONDER.
PA
SEMPER FI
Sure appreciate your service PA! Compared to anything since the description "greatest generation" seems an understatement! This country could not respond now as it did then with the nearly 50% of population government dependent for vitally everything! SAD!
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Looks like you might have been right PA.... Seems the news is focused on Mandella this morning and so far hasn't mentioned anything about Pearl or WWII. :(
I must be the only one on earth who doesn't give a flip about Nelson Mandella.

salute2
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Juan wrote:Looks like you might have been right PA.... Seems the news is focused on Mandella this morning and so far hasn't mentioned anything about Pearl or WWII. :(
I must be the only one on earth who doesn't give a flip about Nelson Mandella.

salute2
x2
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Today just exemplifies that this country has our priorities all wrong! There is little mention of the invasion that started a war to define the freedoms we have today, one of those freedoms being the press today glorifying a man who was associated with thousands of deaths in South Africa. Look up "Mandella necklace" AND THE Mau-Mau.

Amazing how the press has changed history. It is nothing like I LIVED it! I am sure PA would agree!

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
fireant21
Site Sponsor

Post by fireant21 »

I am so thankful my grandfather emphasized the history of WW II for me growing up. He was medically unable to join the Navy in '42 so he and my grandmother helped build Liberty ships in Panama City during the war. I often remember our discussions about events and am grateful that places most people today never heard of; I know about the sacrifices folks made on my behalf.

To the brave men who lost their lives and their comrades who have since passed on to meet them, thank you.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

PA, it is a shame. Thanks for leaving your family and whipping the Japs. salute3

My father was there with you as a part of the medical corp treating the wounded and sick as they beat the Japs back to Japan and would have been in the first wave had we had to attack the Japanese mainland. Unlike the European front, the Japs actually targeted medical personnel and facilities. That is why they all grabbed 45 side arms and wore them at all times.

America today does not want to remember anything that involves work and sacrifice. Most today just want to know when they are going get a check from the government. It is a shame! :smt011
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!