Fishing Report 12/20/2013

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

John Sivyer

Fishing Report 12/20/2013

Post by John Sivyer »

Fished St Marks/Wakulla River. Put in at the fort at 3:15 ,air temp was about 73deg. Paddled against wind and current and anchored and fished 10 ft from the channel marker just past where the St Marks and Wakulla join. Tide was coming in , light wind blowing in direction of current. After fishing for 20 mins with only one ladyfish to my credit a boat drifted about 50 ft away but closer to the middle of the channel and heading back toward the Fort. One of the 4 people on the boat hooked a nice trout. They kept drifting till it was clear they were not coming back so after another 10 mins of nothing, I pulled anchor and drifted over the spot where they were. I caught a 16 incher right away so I let out the anchor. Within the next 10 mins I had caught 5 trout, 3 were keepers. As I pulled the last one in , I noticed the wind had died to a dead calm, and the current was slack . Then all of a sudden the no-see-ums showed up in force and almost lifted me out of my seat. I went for the bug spray but then realized I had left it at home. I began paddling back to the fort as fast as I could. This kept them off me till I got to land. Then they attacked again. I set a record for putting the yak on the roof and driving off.

All in all it was a good time and made me thankful to live in the sunshine state.

Here's a link to some not very impressive pics in case you're bored. http://www.flickr.com/photos/56976502@N ... 880937903/
thebpac

Re: Fishing Report 12/20/2013

Post by thebpac »

Fished the st marks river today. Absolutely gorgeous day!! Caught one nice black drum and a few short mangroves. Decided to ride out past the lighthouse and was surprised with flat seas. I can't ever express how glad I am that I moved to tallahassee. We live in the greatest place on earth.
Gumbo

Post by Gumbo »

Also fished St. Marks yesterday. Got into a school of puppy reds up by the power lines right off the bat. No keepers. Got broken off once, didn't get a visual and don't know what it was. Found a bunch of dink trout and a few keepers further south, along with some really nice black drum. No spot produced for a long time, had to keep moving, but there are fish in the river if I can catch something.
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Also went yesterday in the pontoon with the fam, so most of you prob heard the little ones at some point or us holling at them to leave that alone.They are so loud and can drive a man crazy but love them to death. Didn't fish much but did try a little, went up river to the power plant and nothing and tried in the wakulla a little and nothing, but then again we were with the little ones so really didn't fish much. We picked up some friends and just rode around on the river and hit riverside and was good to see some of the other forum members I could recongonize, saw tally ken in the river right out from shields and saw luc with the Mitzi at the ramp:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Yep, I was out there. Good to see kenfly and the family. Keep bringing the kids. They will love soon and so will you.

I caught some small trout 13"-14" through out the day yesterday at different areas between the fort and power plant. The water temp was around 67.

On Sat, I had the same luck. I spent a few minutes near the East River just to see what was happening as the tide was coming in. The conditions were nice but the fish weren't biting. The water temp was around 60. I suspect it was too cold. But, on the other hand, the decent size reds must still be out there since they aren't being seen further north.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
The Back Porch