GPS and depth finder combo

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

The Flats Fox

GPS and depth finder combo

Post by The Flats Fox »

I need to replace the depth finder on my 28 ft. Center Console Carolina Skif and would like suggestions about a recommended GPS and depth finder combo. Most all of my fishing is in the Florida Big Bend area, predominately Econfina. Any suggestions based on your experience would be greatly appreciated.
The Flats Fox

Re: GPS and depth finder combo

Post by The Flats Fox »

My age is showing again. The above referenced boat is a 23 ft. Skif---not 28 ft. Sorry! The Flats Fox
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

Most folks on here are Garmin people, however, I like the Lowrance 5's. I have an older HDS 5 combo and it works great for me. I just replaced a Garmin on my other boat w/ the Elite 5 w/ down scan imaging. If you have room for a 7" and the money, go for it.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

I have a Garmin 740S and like it. However, that model has been replaced with a new one but you might find it a lot cheaper than I paid for mine?
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

I have been using the Lowrance Elite 7HDI. i was a Garmin user for many years but the larger screen and other features won me over to this Lowrance unit.

This link takes you to a site has a lot of info on both Garmin and Lowrance units.

http://www.bbcboards.net/lowrance-garmin-sonar-gps/

D
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Garmin for the techie, Lowrance for the fisherman.

Seriously, the Lowrance sonar just plain works. And i love the recording capability so I can come home and play back my trip on the PC. Found a few good holes that way.

With Navionics, the maps are hard to beat too.

Garmin makes a fine product, just not to my taste. But then again, I hate the Iphone. :-D

P.S. I have had NO experience with either companies "sidescan" technologies, so I can't comment on that.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
youngbearman

Post by youngbearman »

I love my Elite 5...affordable. The problems I have had are: 1) you can’t adjust the size of the split screen and 2) the icons are big (if anyone knows a way to downsize them, please inform). But the unit itself works flawlessly and easily. The hi-def. sonar is great and I use the scroll back feature to mark waypoints all the time while looking for new bottom.
bayrunner22

Post by bayrunner22 »

A friend of mine just bought a Lowrance Elite5DSI last week from Gander mountain they have them right now on line only for 379 that is an awsome unit for the money
bayrunner22

Post by bayrunner22 »

A friend of mine just bought a Lowrance Elite5DSI last week from Gander mountain they have them right now on line only for 379 that is an awsome unit for the money
smoothie

Post by smoothie »

I agree with bayrunner. I had the 5dsi on my skiff when I sold it. Loved the unit. Trying a big hummingbird sonar setup on the new boat
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

I got the Lowrance Elite 5 HDI Gold when West Marine had them on sale for $299. So far it's great. I've used it on Lake Seminole where it showed the hydrilla through to the bottom in 6 feet of water and the timber out on the river channel was amazingly clear. In the Gulf I've used it running from the ramp in St Joe Bay out to 95 feet where the artificial reefs showed up great. These were reefs I'd never been to so I had to circled around the spot a few times but when I ran over it there was no mistaking it. I haven't had a chance to try it on the flats yet but if it works as good there as it did in the hydrilla on Seminole it will be great. The GPS chart is very clear and detailed. The icons are large though and I haven't spent the time to figure out how to reduce them yet either.
Overall I'm perfectly happy with mine and I'd highly recommend that unit. It looks like the newer units they are coming out with even have the HDI and DSI in the same unit which would be really cool but you are adding a lot of money. If you are just fishing the flats and not offshore stuff I doubt it would be worth the money.