Evil Genius Idea...

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bman

Evil Genius Idea...

Post by bman »

Was flipping through the new Cabellas Saltwater catalog and saw the Uncle Josh Fluke Belly.
They make a 5 inch all white one.

Uncle Josh pork products are crazy tough... What if I soaked them in GULP juice?

:smt077 :smt096 :smt098
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
slowroller
Site Sponsor

Re: Evil Genius Idea...

Post by slowroller »

They better be though! Every thing I've put in gulp juice dissolved or was so soft it wouldn't stay on a hook. Try it and good luck.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Might just work.
Luv2Yak

Post by Luv2Yak »

I've wondered, "What EXACTLY is in Berkley's Gulp! Alive liquid and Gulp! Recharge?" How does Berkley make it? What are its ingredients? From where does Berkley get its ingredients? Is there a difference between the "juice" in Gulp! Alive softbaits vs. the "juice" in other Gulp! (non-Alive) softbaits and Gulp! Recharge?

Berkley is headquartered in Spirit Lake, IA (couldn't possibly get any further from the salty can you?). Can/should Berkley be the "go to" manufacturer for baits, lures, attractants and scents, etc. used for saltwater fishing in Florida and the southeastern USA?

(I've wondered the same things about Procure, which seems popular here in Florida but is made in the Pacific Northwest.)

Unlike other softbaits, the Gulp! softbaits, when not in its Gulp! "juice", dry out and harden. And putting non-Berkley softbaits in Gulp! "juice" does seem to render them "mushy".

All seems kinda hokey to me.

Anybody know of or can recommend attractants/scents made in Florida (or at least in the southeastern USA) that target OUR redfish, trout, etc. ?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I could be wrong on this, but it was my understanding that a great deal of the research for gulps took place at the fsu marine lab near turkey point. It doesn't get much closer to home than that. What exactly is in gulp juice? That is worth a lot of money and is a well guarded secret. As far as soaking baits in the juice, may work may not. The juice is water soluble not fat soluble like menhaden oil. Fish are supposed to be able to "taste" or " smell" water soluble liquids much much better than fat soluble. The juice may wash right off the pork or it may stick to it a little. I doubt it will work better that what the scientists designed, but maybe worth a shot .
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Luv2Yak wrote:I've wondered, "What EXACTLY is in Berkley's Gulp! Alive liquid and Gulp! Recharge?" How does Berkley make it? What are its ingredients? From where does Berkley get its ingredients? Is there a difference between the "juice" in Gulp! Alive softbaits vs. the "juice" in other Gulp! (non-Alive) softbaits and Gulp! Recharge?

Berkley is headquartered in Spirit Lake, IA (couldn't possibly get any further from the salty can you?). Can/should Berkley be the "go to" manufacturer for baits, lures, attractants and scents, etc. used for saltwater fishing in Florida and the southeastern USA?

(I've wondered the same things about Procure, which seems popular here in Florida but is made in the Pacific Northwest.)

Unlike other softbaits, the Gulp! softbaits, when not in its Gulp! "juice", dry out and harden. And putting non-Berkley softbaits in Gulp! "juice" does seem to render them "mushy".

All seems kinda hokey to me.

Anybody know of or can recommend attractants/scents made in Florida (or at least in the southeastern USA) that target OUR redfish, trout, etc. ?
I never have and probably never will use Gulp. From what I have heard and seen over the years, the stuff works, but doesn't seem worth the money to me. I can buy a bag of 20 Gotcha Grubs for less than 5 bucks. If you are in the right location, at the right time, then the fish will eat. Yea, I guess scent can't hurt, but is it worth the money and mess? Not in my opinion. Get you a topwater plug and go after some BIG fish. :thumbup:
bman

Post by bman »

Salty Gator wrote:I could be wrong on this, but it was my understanding that a great deal of the research for gulps took place at the fsu marine lab near turkey point.
A friend worked on it while he was a student at FSU and gave me some of the original samples... Looked like big curly tail grubs.
The Grouper ate them up!
And if you think the current Gulp Juice stinks... it is mild compared to the original.

TEAM "Duck Season!"
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

My experience with the old white fluke is that they bite the ones you do not have anything on just as quick as the ones you soak in Gulp juice(yep, tried it).......WHEN they are biting.

When they get lockjaw, they won't even drink Gulp juice.....

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
bman

Post by bman »

How did you rig them? I'm thinking they would stay on the hook way better than any plastic

TEAM "Duck Season!"
Luv2Yak

Post by Luv2Yak »

Manufactured in St. Augustine, FL

no liquid no stink

http://fishbites.com/
grasscarp

Post by grasscarp »

Gulp juice is a combination of primrose hot sausage juice and a little bit of WD-40
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

grasscarp wrote:Gulp juice is a combination of primrose hot sausage juice and a little bit of WD-40
Active ingredient in WD 40.... Fish oil
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

I've heard people say gulp juice stinks, but I don't really smell anything except a faint vinegar odor. Polly burnt out my sense of smell years ago.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

bman wrote:How did you rig them? I'm thinking they would stay on the hook way better than any plastic
The white flukes I am talking about are plastic. The problem is not staying on the hook, but keeping the tail. But I will say I have had the tailless ones bit just as good when they are biting.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
foxtrotuniform

Post by foxtrotuniform »

bman wrote:Was flipping through the new Cabellas Saltwater catalog and saw the Uncle Josh Fluke Belly.
They make a 5 inch all white one.
Uncle Josh pork products are crazy tough... What if I soaked them in GULP juice?

:smt077 :smt096 :smt098
I've soaked pork rinds as well as Z-man and other soft baits in gulp juice. It does work, but not any better than an occasional squeeze of ProCure.

I prefer the procure these days. Less messy than the leaky gulp juice lids.

My understanding is that gulp juice is primarily menhaden oil with some preservatives. I bet you could get similar, or identical results soaking your gulps in a bottle of menhaden oil from the tackle shop.