Tagging redfish?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Danibeth

Tagging redfish?

Post by Danibeth »

How many of y'all tag redfish? I have participated in the Louisiana Tagging Program for the last couple of years and have been tagging redfish every chance I get. I got my first return on one of my fish. It was recaptured about 4 months after I tagged it, in almost the exact same spot....then taken home and eaten I'm sure since it was 22" and the report said it was kept. But I was curious what kind of return rate folk have had on their fish on the west coast. I've tagged about 30 fish (most of them BIG redfish) and this is my first return. I was talking with someone else who tags a good deal and he said the only returns he's had on fish were in the 19-23" range. Just curious about out that way?

Danibeth
ced0412

Re: Tagging redfish?

Post by ced0412 »

Post some details of the tagging program, I primarily release everything so it would be a good opportunity.
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

http://www.ccalouisiana.com/cca11/fish-tagging-program

they provide you with the tags and info cards, tool for inserting the tag (looks just like a venting tool), instructions, and when you need more, they mail you more. At the end of the year I've gotten reports of how many fish I've tagged and how many have been recaptured and then a report of how many overall have been tagged by everyone participating. The one return I've gotten, I got a report that said who caught it, what happened to the fish after it was caught, where it was caught and when it was caught.

Danibeth
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

In the past I have written about Col. Allan Davis, a retired Marine pilot who tagged more than 3,000 redfish in Pensacola before he finally quit. Almost all of his tagged fish were big bull reds caught in the pass in the fall. He had more than a dozen returns over the years, including fish notated as bleeding when released. Those big breeders are very hardy when handled properly and given the chance to swim away. The smaller guys do OK, too.

I used to tag quite a bit but haven't in awhile. The NMFS provided free nylon dart tags upon request. Not sure if they still do. May have been scrapped due to budget cuts. Some state wildlife agencies and non-profit groups like CCA offered tags as well.

Check out http://www.gulfcouncil.org or myfwc.com to see if they have any tagging information on their sites. CCA Florida does not have an active tagging program that I'm aware of.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Haven't tagged redfish but have been tagging cobia a while with two returns out of fifty tagged to date. Opposite issue with the cobes, as I prefer tagging them small so I know they have time to move a bit before being legally harvested.

Like the idea of being able to tag overslot reds knowing that there's at least a decent chance that while the tag may be pulled, the fish has a decent chance of being released. Many thanks for sharing the linked info. :thumbup: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

Silver King....lots of folk here in jacksonville use the CCA out of Lousiana for their tags. I know at the Full of Bull Redfish Tournament is where I got the application to participate in the tagging program and it was through LA. I'll check out that link though...thanks