I'm ready

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Ifishtoo

I'm ready

Post by Ifishtoo »

I've posted on here perhaps a dozen times. I've chatted with several gentlemen via private chat. I'm retired, boatless, and new to the area. I'm still trying connect with some fisherman. With a lifetime of fishing experience in many of Florida waters along the east coast and central gulf coast, I'm sorta an old salt. At 62, many of my old fishing buds have passed on and the rest are scattered 200-300mi away. I just wish I could catch up with someone who enjoys some help catching any kind of fish. At one time or another, I have done all of it.

If you live or fish within 100 miles of Marianna Florida, I can: 1) Always be there on time 2) Have a late model, dependable pick up truck, 3) Always have cash for what ever we get into, 4) Usually can fish any day of the week, 5) Trailer backing, cleaning fish, and boat maintenance are some of the things I have done for over 40yrs.

Surf fishing alone or going out on a head boat are ways that help me feel like "I'm still in the game". We have very few neighbors in this rural setting and being retired, we simply don't meet many new folks. We have no kids or grand kids.

I have traded many of my numerous offshore numbers for numbers over here off of Indian Pass, Mexico Bch, and Panama City. An old friend from Macon brings his Hydrosport down 3-4 times a year and I keep him on plenty of fish. I would really enjoy fishing 4-5 days a month, year round. If you want to rent a place for 2-3 days at the coast, I'm good to go. Always ready to pay my share, plus fuel, bait, and ice. If you have kids, that's terrific. At 62, I love watching kids catch fish.... the most, the biggest, who cares!
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Re: I'm ready

Post by SS-342 »

Sure hope someone will take you up on the offer. I have a brother in the same situation. He lives down the state so either of you would do the other no good. A shame you can't find someone to fish with. Good luck!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Troutinator

Post by Troutinator »

pm and email sent.
He who loses control, Loses!
Mo Redd

Post by Mo Redd »

I sent a PM but it may not have gone through to ifishtoo. I'm a retired 75 year old who owns a 17 foot flats boat with 90 HP that runs smoothly and a 24 volt trolling motor. I'd be willing to partner up with you to go out to a nearby launch, from Lanark to St. Marks on a week-day if the wind isn't too high. My truck or yours. I prefer someone who's familiar with the water as it's so shallow inshore Big Bend that I don't want to get stuck or ruin a prop (although I have tow insurance). Drop me a line at ygo2work at hotmail dot com if interested.
Louis aka Mo Redd (although I haven't caught nearly enough of those critters).
Challey

Post by Challey »

I am not yet living in Florida but am working towards it. If I were there I would for sure get up with you. What a nice, sportsmanlike request you have made to the group and I hope many contact you and take you fishing. Challey
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

Mo Redd, I have a great deal of knowledge fishing much of Florida's coastal waters; however, I have a NO local knowledge of the area east of Carrabelle over to Keaton Bch.

Nowadays, I would study internet charts before I would enter a new area. That little GPS chart plotter on the console, even a cheap one, will help keep you from running aground. Slow down, stay between the red & the green, watch the depth recorder,..... and always make sure you travel to the next marker....... that MAY NOT ALWAYS THE CLOSEST MARKER. I learned that while traveling in and out of Cedar Key's west channel. A large Dog Leg in an open water channel system can produce some confusion as to which marker is the NEXT MARKER.

Remember "red right return" in any channel system. Also, on the ICW, the triangles (red) are always on the mainland side. With today's technology, moving a mouse across a computer screen will allow you to plot a course without ever leaving the house. Pick a dozen "Note worthy" coordinates and run from one to the next. The technology can really assist in staying away from "running hard aground"; but you must do some home work and be content with running less than 16knts, until you have learned the area. All the time, keeping a close eye on the recorder.

If you are west of Carrabelle, I might be a more valuable navigator. Hiring a local guide for $300-400 is always another option. A few of them might come along aboard your own boat.
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

Thanks Challey, seems you're not the only fella living else where and wanting to come down and fish. Finding someone in this region who who needs a fisherman seems slim. I'd try my luck on E-Harmony.com but I don't think that would produce the fisherMEN I'm looking for! :lol: Sorta forget the resume, but how's that outboard running these days.

We live about 20 miles from Lake Seminole and about 90 miles down to the coast. I'm not a tournament fisherman. Never have been competitive about anything involving "the most, the biggest, the fastest, etc". These days, fishing is about: 1) some quality time on the water, 2) perhaps a nice box of fish, 3) and making a few more memories.
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

It's April 8th and the bite is on...... and "Still no H2O therapy within a 100 miles."

Dagumit, seems I'm still hoping to find a fishermen near Carrabelle to Mexico Bch. Looks like I'll be going alone...... surf fishin, a little bit of wade fishin, and taking some head boats trips again this spring. Good luck to all. Maybe by next spring, I'll find another fisherman along the Forgotten Coast. Thanks for all the kind comments.

Thanks Jeff, hope it works out