Just bought a... Now what?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FishWithChris

Just bought a... Now what?

Post by FishWithChris »

Brand spankin' new Quantum Cabo 80 (spinning)... This thing is a BEAST!!! ...and probably a bit overkill for our area, but why not! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Got a heck of a deal on it, so I couldn't pass it up.
Specs:
CSP80PTSD 330/20(mono yds/lb test) 4.9:1(gear ratio) 7+1(Bearings) 25(oz) 55lbs(drag) 41(line recovery IPT)

Now the fun part... WHAT THE HECK TO PAIR IT WITH!??! I could go cheap and just pick up an UglyStick Tiger / TigerLite... or maybe a trevala?

I'll most likely be spooling this we a solid mono backing and the remaining of 50lbs braid (prob Diamond braid)
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
ontiltttttt

Re: Just bought a... Now what?

Post by ontiltttttt »

Danggggg, 55lbs of drag? AWESOME! What species are you planning on chasing?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I guess it depends on what you plan to target with it. If you are doing any bottom fishing, take a good look at the jigging rods. Shimano travalas are nice and don't break the bank. I got 2 last year and have all but thrown the big penn conventional rigs in the trash
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

I love the fairly cheap (~$100) Shimano I have on my 8000 Stradic. I use it for tarpon, cobia, sharks on the beach and have even casted plugs to tuna with it. I think the rod is 6'6" and rated to about 50#s
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Rainman
Site Sponsor

Post by Rainman »

Check out Pompano's store, I'm sure he might have something to get rid of... haha BOOOM

I hear Dick's is doing the buy a Flats Blue get the sabalos reel free through March... Some of the offshore models are sweet and you get a free reel.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Depends on how much money you've got left... :lol:

If you want to stay reasonable, the Shimano Teramar TMSF70H is a good choice. 15 -30# mono rating (20-40 w/ braid) with a medium fast tip. Composite construction to handle the big boys and great warranty. $110

For $250, the Shimano Terez Waxwing TZS69MH is rated for 40- 80# and the same parameters as far as construction/warranty. The pearl white blank would be stylin' with your new reel.

Can probably find either during a spring sale at Kevin's or SGO.

I also have a Star Handcrafted spinner tarpon/cobia rod that has held up well over the years and will whip some big fish. Not sure if any of the local shops would have it, but you can order them through TackleDirect.com
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

maybe some GROUPAAAAAAAAAAAA
maybe some SNAPPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

definitely some AJs and without a doubt some Tarpontini's :beer: :beer: :beer: :-D

I'm going to head back into BPS with the reel and see what they have, and then stroll on over to Kevin's and strike up a deal.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

If it's gonna pair up with some grouper diggin, you better get something with some back bone. Takes some serious pulling to turn a 15-18 lb gag in 45-60 ft of water. A 20-25 lb gag in 90-100' is also a load to "turn".

With AJ's you can give up some line, but with those nice gags, you better get them up, 10 ft away from their territory, and you better do it "reel" quick. Share some fish tales this spring, let us know how that rig is workin out. 50 lb may be a mistake if you find some 16+ lb gags.

50 lb, line drops 10 % and you're down to 45 lb, drops to 15 % and you're down near 40 lb.line. Took a gentlemen out grouper fishing once; he was proud of his 50 lb line. I advised him it might become a "heart ache". After that first trip, he always returned with 60 or 80 lb line.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

^I was just thinking about that... this thing is rated to hold 380yrds of 65lb braid.... that's a lot of (*%$#@@$! line!!!!!!!!!! So I'll be heeding your advice, as well as my thought and really just jump up there and put that 65lb braid on there...

Anyone ever deal with hollow-core braid around here? I keep seeing it, but haven't heard anyone talk about it, other than "I'd put Jerry Brown hollow-core braid on it if I were you..." (at least on the blue-water forums) As of now, I have every intention of sticking w/ Diamond braid, as I have 30lb on my 30 series Boca and have not had an issue since the beginning (overspooling by Kevins......... surprise!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: ) - unless I can be convinced otherwise to use something else

due to the fact I want to "attempt" to use this on grouper and then randomly on cobia and tarpon, I think I'm going to go with a stout 7' rod, just so I can still make some attempt at slinging bait out there.

Image Image Image
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

If you plan to bottom fish, a 7 ' rod may be way too long. You may want to decide between a cobia/ tarpon rod (7') and a grouper/snapper rod ( 5.5-6'). The lightweight jigging rods will handle a large grouper,snapper or aj's (what you normally jig for) much better than a conventional 7' heavy action rod. If you don't believe me, put a weight on the end of your line and lift with a long rod, then try w a short rod. The difference will shock you. I guess like boats, there is no perfect rod for everything, you may be better off getting 2 and switching the reel depending on what you are chasing. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

I like the get two rods idea.

That said ive got an 8' xh shimano terramar rod that i got for beach fishing as well as big fish fishing. Here in jax we have spawning bull redfish in the fall and that rod is awesome on them. Also great for slinging lures and bait way out to tarpon as well. It is pretty long for a boat and if i was only bottom fishing i would go for a much shorter rod but it is great paired with my shimano saragosa 6000

I really like the terramar series of fishing rods