Dog Island Spanish

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

PathFinder22

Dog Island Spanish

Post by PathFinder22 »

We fished for trout around Lanark with no luck last Friday but when we found the Spanish around Dog Island it was on! We had a lot of fun. We fished Christmas tree rigs and spoons trolling about 3-4 mph. We had several double hookups and a few triples. Great day on the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hit-n-Miss

Re: Dog Island Spanish

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Nice I love Spanish

Slough
Site Sponsor

Post by Slough »

:thumbup: :beer: :thumbup:
LAWRENCE AUTOMOTIVE-LAWRENCE AUTO PARTS
BIG SLOUGH KENNELS
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

The last Spanish I caught was cooked in a smoker with a Blue fish. Cooked flesh of both fish picked off, mixed together with herbs, onion, garlic, an egg, some flour before making into patties and fried on a griddle.

Um Um good!

Good report and a pile of fish. Fun, fun, fun!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

Now the thing i never liked about Spanish is that they are a "fatty" fleshed fish, meaning they are "fishy tasting". My buddy told me a little secret about them, and i tried it -- it works. Take a fresh(same day) Spanish and fillet it like a dolphin. Re: lightly cut through the skin all the way around -- then at the head, grab ahold and pull the skin off. Then fillet the meat off, and cut the dark meat out of the fillet, near the bone line. Fry it or broil, grill and there is no fishy taste! "Fresh" is necessary...
PathFinder22

Post by PathFinder22 »

Yeah some people aren't fond of them but if cooked right they are tasty. Thx for the cooking tips guys. I'll have to try some next time.

SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

charlie tuna wrote:Now the thing i never liked about Spanish is that they are a "fatty" fleshed fish, meaning they are "fishy tasting". My buddy told me a little secret about them, and i tried it -- it works. Take a fresh(same day) Spanish and fillet it like a dolphin. Re: lightly cut through the skin all the way around -- then at the head, grab ahold and pull the skin off. Then fillet the meat off, and cut the dark meat out of the fillet, near the bone line. Fry it or broil, grill and there is no fishy taste! "Fresh" is necessary...
Charlie tuna is RIGHT ON! Several ways to get the dark meat out. I cooked mine in the smoker with the skin/scales on but filleted. Let cool and hulled out the flesh. The dark meat came off without a problem.

You can also skin/fillet and cut the dark line out and fry the good meat.

Good stuff FRESH!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP