Pier Fishing Advice

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

chris.harris388

Pier Fishing Advice

Post by chris.harris388 »

I am going pier fishing for the first time Tuesday in Panama City Beach. I promised a friend that I would take her to catch some good fish and the pier seems to be producing so lunkers right now. I'm just looking for some advice for rigs and bait. Anything helps and I will provide a report after the trip. Current fish that are being caught include spanish mack, king mack, cobia, monster reds, and pompano. Thanks
pizzle4

Re: Pier Fishing Advice

Post by pizzle4 »

For the Spanish use a trolling sinker with a Clarke silver spoon on 2- 2 1/2 ft of light wire leader. Throw it as far as you can let it sink and then reel as fast as you can. You will get your limit in no more than an hour. For pomps a pompano rig with sand fleas and/or shrimp will get you pomps,flounder and the occasional beach bull red. Throw it east or west between the two bars or just behind the second bar.For Cobia....be careful! Watch out for the mass of morons with cobia rods running around the end of the pier. It is downright comical to watch when a ling or two cruise by. They literally run as a swarm and the rigs go flying. I really wonder how many people get hooks in their faces each cobia season. If you are really trying to target cobia i would go to the end of the pier and put a live bait on the top under a cork, free line one and put one on the bottom. You could also have one rigged with a buck tail jig/eel or an al gag whip it eel ready to throw. You will most likely see one. Good luck and have fun. There are a lot of fish on that pier.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

I fish there one or two trips a year. The easiest fish to catch is spanish mackerel. Use either gotcha lures or "bubble rigs". These rigs can be bought at half hitch tackle or Walmart. You'll need 7+ foot spinning rigs in medium or med heavy. Next thing to catch is king mackerel with a snobling rig, basically either live or frozen bait on a short wire leader with a #2 or #4 4x treble hook. Use about 18" of wire leader, either surfstrand 7strand, single strand or my new favorite tieable titanium leader. Use between 20 and 40 lb test leader with at least 250 yds of 15 to 20 lb main line on a spinning reel with a smooth drag. Scaled down version can be used for larger spanish mackerel also. If you are new to this pier fishing I would probably skip targeting cobia for now. By frozen cigar minnows or catch live bait with sabiki rigs at the pier.

Check out panhandlepierfishing.com/mybb/index.php for reports and more tips. Also visit half hitch tackle for help with tackle and tips.

My number one tip is get to pier before daylight and be ready to fish at daybreak, most action is over by 9:30am most days until the afternoon bite when the sun goes down.
chris.harris388

That all sounds like solid advice. I will focus on Spanish, pompano, and flounder with yalls help. I think we also have one large rod that I will throw a cigar minnow on in hopes for a king. I had no clue about getting there that early. I was planning on hitting the peak time ezfishin.com said which was 12-2pm but I might have to change my plans up.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

It may not matter what time you fish to please your lady friend. Just being with you, you working to please her just might be enough to thrill her.

Catching fish just might be a bonus!

Take plenty of sun screen, cool drinks, good snacks, any creature comfort item and a thoughtful, caring attitude. These things should provide a fun filled day for both of you.

Good luck on YOUR CATCH!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

I have always done best early compared to middle of the day. The afternoon bite can be just as good, between 4 - and sunset. I don't usually fish afternoon because I go there on vacation with family and that's family time, i.e. dinner time. Pompano can be good all day and spanish usually come in waves throughout the day though much more steady at daylight. Kings on the other hand usually are most prolific at sunrise and sunset.

Good luck
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

SS-342 wrote:It may not matter what time you fish to please your lady friend. Just being with you, you working to please her just might be enough to thrill her.

Catching fish just might be a bonus!

Take plenty of sun screen, cool drinks, good snacks, any creature comfort item and a thoughtful, caring attitude. These things should provide a fun filled day for both of you.

Good luck on YOUR CATCH!
This is some of the best advice I have seen on this forum :thumbup:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Keeping it simple . . . Everything eats a Gulp Shrimp on a jig.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
chris.harris388

We ended up missing the morning time due to a headache caused by a few adult beverages but still made it for about 5 hours in the afternoon. It didn't sound good once we got there as far as reports go. I tried the advice I received for some Spanish but they were non existent. So for a shot in the dark we used pompano rigs with some frozen shrimp I had left over from a pervious trip. That's when the action heated up! Caught a remora to start the action then bluefish after bluefish from there. Had a few double hookups as well. Ended the day with 17 blues and a nice amount of fileted fish in the freezer for my memorial weekend fish fry.
chris.harris388

silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Aaaaahhhh, nice job of catching there, Chris, but those aren't bluefish. Look like bar or yellow jacks from your photo. But don't worry. According to the late, great Vic Dunaway if you trim away the blood line you'll be left with white flavorful fillets. Wash 'em down with some more of those adult beverages and give us a report on the feast.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Look like Blue Runners to me!?!
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

I'm sure some guys on this forum have tried them before :-D , come on guys don't be bashful tell us how they taste lmao!
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

I saw cedar planks today at Lowes BBQ grill section. Made me think of you (and me).
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Mister Mullet

Post by Mister Mullet »

Just spent three days on the county pier. Lots of decent kings, many decent cobia, almost no Spanish mackerel, some pompano and redfish, a few bluefish and lots of runners. Bait was scarce, but when it comes in, this place will be outstanding. All the advice given here has been spot-on. One more tip, for Spanish mackerel use a five-eights ounce Krocodile spoon with a one foot leader. Cast out as far as you can, let it settle all the way to the bottom, then reel in as fast as you can turn the handle, holding the rod tip down. When the spoon jumps out of the water immediately free-spool it and let it sink to the bottom again, then reel in fast again.

As for eating blue runner, trim out the blood line, wipe both sides of the fillet with canola oil, season with cracked pepper and salt to taste, cook on a medium-heat grill skinn side up for four minutes, turn and cook skin side down for another four minutes or until meat is opaque. Plate it, drizzle some olive oil over the fillets, sqeeze fresh lime juice on them and garnish with parsley. MMmmm.