Spade Fish

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

PinFishKing
Site Sponsor

Spade Fish

Post by PinFishKing »

I see a lot of Spade Fish while fishing off shore for grouper. Are they worth messing with? Are they good to eat? If so, what kind of rig and bait do you use? I have tried several times to catch one just out of curiousity but have never been successfull.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

When I took some buddies from South Carolina back in march, they told me that was their favorite thing to catch. Apparently they eat them, but balked at the idea of eating Amberjack. :smt017

They catch them on cannonball jellyfish. They net a couple, use one to cut into chunks for bait, and another to hang on a rod and use for chum to keep them around the boat. They are good fighters.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

GeneO.
Site Sponsor

Re: Spade Fish

Post by GeneO. »

We got into a bunch of them two weeks ago at Yamaha. A guy told me they were great if you like a fishy tasting fish, not sure if that makes sense to you.

We were there for the AJ's and were using heavier gear. The bite was more of a short nibble than a real bite. We caught 3 or four on the bigger gear but they were all foul hooked in the gill as the hook sets were a little slow.

If I were actually going to target them I'd bring a different rig and try a Snapper setup that Tom recomends, 2/0 hook with a 40# leader possibly lighter than that.
Tight Lines and Screamin Drag

http://members.fishingworks.com/gosteen/
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

Tom speaks the truth

They are popular in the Carolinas
They catch them there with jellyfish

Good fighters on light tackle and I heard that they were good eating fish too but I have never cooked one up
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

I've eaten them many times. They are fun to catch, and fine table fare to me. Wouldn't want to eat a fish that didn't taste fishy. Better than eating fish that taste chickeny, porky, or beefy. :wink:
Semper Fi
GeneO.
Site Sponsor

Post by GeneO. »

I wasn't sure how to say that as I've never actually eaten one and that's how it was described. I was thinking just what you wrote CS. I think he meant a strong taste. :smt017

EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

They will respond to fine chum thrown out behind the boat and will hit small pieces of shrimp or fish on a small hook.

Good fishing for kids or if you are desperate for any kind of action. I kept one once and ate it. Dark meat, strong taste, kinda like mullet. I won't keep another, but they are pretty to watch.

EJ
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Frank Bradfield »

Sorry pinfish king, we usually use things that size for bait, can't help you on what they taste like..
Sea Gurl

Post by Sea Gurl »

I both love to eat and catch spade fish. It's one of my personal favorites. They are a lot of fun to catch because they are much strong pullers. They taste fine to me - I pan fry them the same as brim.

Use a smaller hook on flats type rod set up with a bit of shrimp, squid whatever. They school so catching several isn't hard to do.

Sea Gurl
PinFishKing
Site Sponsor

Frank B

Post by PinFishKing »

Frank - Last I heard CarlaBear was wearing you out at Econfina. I wouldn't be bragging too much.
Sea Fox
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Fox »

Ive caught alot of spades on light tackle, mainly useing small pieces of sguid. I filleted one and the meat was almost transparent. Wasent sure so I didnt eat it.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Spadefish ain't too bad, they are usually small and like Seagurl said they are kinda like bream, even taste like them to me. Notorious baitstealers, though.
Yours in the South
GeneO.
Site Sponsor

Post by GeneO. »

DixieReb wrote: Notorious baitstealers, though.
You got that right, we went through a box of squid in 15 minutes and had no fish to show for it. I was begining to think they were sheepies until someone boated one.

Sea Fox
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Fox »

Trigger fish are the king bait steelers, the last time I use my underwater camera I was telling the guys when to set the hook, they didnt know that they had a bite. 8)
Reel Time

Post by Reel Time »

You can catch all the spade fish you want on a sabiki bait rig. They will jump all over it. 8)