Memorial Day

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Memorial Day

Post by big bend gyrene »

Pausing from the infamous Global Warming Debate of 2014 for a moment of somber reflection. Remembering two brothers-in-arms who left this world far too soon.

First, Sgt. Jason Buyck, fellow boot with me back in Parris Island in 1996. Died in a 2000 Osprey crash during the aircraft's testing days. A great Marine, a great young man, a great son, and great husband. Gone far too soon.
Buyck.jpg
Buyck.jpg (98.04 KiB) Viewed 2116 times
jbuyck.jpg
Also remembering Sgt. Ralph Lee "Rocky" Gunnels today. The brother of one of my childhood best friends, he was an Abrams tank crewman, killed in a peacetime training exercise at absolutely no fault of his own. During my own Abrams tank training, my instructor told of serving with Rocky as well as of the accident that killed him. Again, a tragic loss of life far too early.
Rocky.jpg
Rocky.jpg (132.78 KiB) Viewed 2116 times
Hope everyone pauses for at least a moment today to remember what this holiday truly is all about. :smt010 salute1
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
charlie tuna

Re: Memorial Day

Post by charlie tuna »

Thanks for posting, that's what this holiday is all about. They sound like some great guys!!
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

GREAT POST! I'm sorry for your loss......... No, make that our loss. I too, have spent some extra time reflecting on those I've know that have paid the ultimate price. Not for money, not for recognition, but simply doing their job. A job that some simply lack the character or fortitude to carry out. I'm 63, I've seen way too many young men die performing their duty, their job..... and all "Just to keep us safe". Damn those politicians and their "public displays". Many of them are why so many of these young have died.

Again bbg, great post.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

BBG, I TOO WOULD LIKE TO REMEMBER TWO PASSED ON MARINES THAT SERVED ME AND OUR COUNTRY WELL, FREDDY WEXLER, MY REAR GUNNER, AND BUCKY IRRAVOLIA MY ORDINANCE MAN. ALL THREE OF US MADE IT BACK HOME AFTER WW2 BUT THESE TWO HAVE PASSED ON IN THE LAST SEVERAL YEARS. I AM THE ONLY ONE LEFT OUT OF OUR FLIGHT UNIT OF 1275 MEN.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
cast-n-stone
Site Sponsor

Post by cast-n-stone »

PA, A heart felt THANK YOU to you and all the others who have and are serving, not just today but everyday! Again, Thanks and God Bless you all.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

cast-n-stone wrote:PA, A heart felt THANK YOU to you and all the others who have and are serving, not just today but everyday! Again, Thanks and God Bless you all.
X-2 You will always be remembered! Thanks so much!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Ranaman

Post by Ranaman »

salute2 thanks for that John God bless all that serve and all that have passed because of it!
Slough
Site Sponsor

Post by Slough »

Ranaman wrote:salute2 thanks for that John God bless all that serve and all that have passed because of it!
:thumbup: Couldnt have said it better
LAWRENCE AUTOMOTIVE-LAWRENCE AUTO PARTS
BIG SLOUGH KENNELS