"LEGAL" STATE WATER GROUPER NEAR PANACEA/DI

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Currentsituation

"LEGAL" STATE WATER GROUPER NEAR PANACEA/DI

Post by Currentsituation »

Ok, Help???!!!!
I have been looking to find some of the elusive " legal" state water grouper since the state water season has opened NEAR PANACEA/LANARK. I went out prior to opening and caught some nice legal size gags about 11 miles out trolling when the weather was still cool but that wouldn't even count at that distance. As soon as the season came in it seems they have been hard to come by in the size you need them to. About three weeks ago we were catching ALMOST legal gags (1 inch short) in state waters but have not been able to load a truly legal fish. I recently heard someone saying that the gags have left out for deeper water. IS this the case?????? Or have I just not found the spot I am so desperately trying to find? I have focused near the drop south of DI and the live bottom on the east end. I just want to say it can be done on my boat. I am heading down real soon for a week long trip and wanted to really focus finding the "honey hole" so to speak. I don't really want your numbers or anything just a shove in the right direction. I am pretty new to this ( on my own boat) and the bad thing is I don't even eat fish, I just like to catch em!!!!!

Next question: Red grouper, I hear go west......? any advise near panacea? other than to use live bait and to head far west.

Thanks for any input. salute3
EddieJoe

Re: "LEGAL" STATE WATER GROUPER NEAR PANACEA/DI

Post by EddieJoe »

There is always this argument among friends regarding whether the grouper "migrate" out of shallow water as the water warms or not. Regardless, I don't tend to catch many legal grouper in state waters this late in the Spring. So, like you, I haven't found any legal fish in the last couple of weeks except in federal waters, where I have released them when caught. My last two trips I have caught a total of one nice gag (released) and a couple of little gags closer in. No reds. Went 22 miles out from DI and didn't scare up a red grouper out there, so might go west (nearer to O-tower) this week. IMO, the water, even way out, is still pretty dark and I expect this has had some effect on the grouper bite.

On the other hand, real experts (not me) seem to be able to catch grouper under most conditions, they just know where to go.

Luck,

EJ
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

I agree with you EJ. We only caught one legal grouper Sat. Some people have a big arsenal to choose from. And, on the other hand, I know some veterans that haven't done well lately.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Free diving in state waters...cobie went 50#
Free diving in state waters...cobie went 50#
Lee.jpg (7.56 KiB) Viewed 4761 times
My nephews first grouper trip...caught a cobie too
My nephews first grouper trip...caught a cobie too
Bryson 5.jpg (7.64 KiB) Viewed 4761 times
Currentsituation

Post by Currentsituation »

Well either way I am going to wet a hook all around and do a great deal of spot checking in random areas trying to find something worth mentioning.

Another question has come to mind.......

If I get on a spot with good structure and the rock bass and pink mouths are in abundance on the end of the hook should I move on in search for a strictly grouper bite or keep at it for a while to see if I can stir up a grouper among the rock bass and pinks? It seems I kill a great deal of time on good structure hoping for a grouper to bite.... any recommendations?

Thanks again!!!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I know one very productive offshore fisherman that will not drop anchor on one of his spots unless he gets a grunt immediately on his " grunt rod". He will drop a little squid while he is figuring his drift, if he doesn't hook up instantly, he's off to another spot. Hope his helps, I'm sure others will give their 2 cents
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

I wouldn't pass up those rock bass til I had a mess....so as you don't go home empty :smt004
generalee
Site Sponsor

Post by generalee »

Glad to read this discussion. I too have heard from successful fishermen & one fisherwoman (guide) that grunts and grouper hang out together. I agree with Gulf Coast about not passing up black sea bass until you have a mess. They may be my favorite fish from this area.
foxtrotuniform

Post by foxtrotuniform »

Grunts and gag grouper do hang out in the same places. When you get tired of taking grunts off the hook, drop a big pinfish hooked through the meat above the tail on a couple or three feet of leader. Crank the sinker a couple turns off the bottom and wait. Grunts usually won't mess with live pinners, but when a grouper comes over to see what the commotion is about, they'll snarf a pinner down in a heartbeat.

Gags hate pinfish.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

:o This is some good discussion and I don't even fish deep water.

Thanks for some good information.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP